How come Linux/Unix filesystems don't seem to get fragmented? - Aix

This is a discussion on How come Linux/Unix filesystems don't seem to get fragmented? - Aix ; On Dec 4, 1:43 am, fl...@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote: > Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > > > >Some people define intelligence as the ability to find relationships, > >btw. > > So the inability to relate your posts ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: How come Linux/Unix filesystems don't seem to get fragmented?

    On Dec 4, 1:43 am, fl...@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >

    > >Some people define intelligence as the ability to find relationships,
    > >btw.

    > So the inability to relate your posts to the topic of
    > discussion, the article you reply to, or anything else
    > with a relationship to the newsgroups you posted in, is
    > only because you lack intelligence. That's good, cause
    > I was about to think there were other things wrong with
    > you.
    >
    > --
    > Floyd L. Davidson
    > Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) fl...@apaflo.com

    UFS will do partial block fills if both files can fit in the same
    block. If either file is extended, the quiet roommate file is
    relocated and the growing file will get the entire block to itself.
    Files that span multiple blocks are not necessarily contiguous - in
    that sense they can become "fragmented".

    Just as in VMS, a dump/restore will defragment the file system.

  2. Re: How come Linux/Unix filesystems don't seem to get fragmented?

    Grant Edwards wrote:

    > On 2007-12-01, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > Well, the point is that in some 15 years being in charge of
    > > Unix (Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX, Linux, even friggin' SCO) I
    > > don't recall ever having problems caused by fragmentation.

    > Competently designed file systems.

    Don't go there. I just learned something at an AIX Admin class that not
    only floored me and my fellow "soon-to-be-AIX VMS Guys" it caused me to
    lose a great deal of respect for AIX and IBM. We could easily get into a
    deeply "religious" flame war about which is better.

    The truth is, of course, neither is "better" - the intentions of the
    respective designers were radically different. One fits one purpose, the
    other fits a different purpose.

    ....and to the OP's point, "fragmentation" has an entirely different
    meaning in AIX. What he means is "discontiguity of extents", both
    allocated and free space.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  3. Re: How come Linux/Unix filesystems don't seem to get fragmented?

    heh, I've been in a few classes with an IBM instructor who swears that
    "Fragmentation is good and we had it first!" .

    Most people are talking about discontinuous files when they talk about
    "fragmentation".

    Yea so he is mostly being anal about terms, but not really, we have
    less discontinuous filesystems because of good fragmentation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2