question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170 - Aix

This is a discussion on question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170 - Aix ; On Dec 1, 4:14 pm, Huub wrote: > > Have you formatted your hard drive(s) in preparation to receive AIX > > 5.3? > > No, I haven't. Do I have to do this via the Diag CDROM? Yes....the safest ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170

    On Dec 1, 4:14 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > Have you formatted your hard drive(s) in preparation to receive AIX
    > > 5.3?

    > No, I haven't. Do I have to do this via the Diag CDROM?

    Yes....the safest way is to wipe your hard drive clean unless there is
    something on there you want to keep. If this is a new machine, format
    your drives.

    > > By the way, if you would like to contact me by email, my address is:

    > > dogpatch11 at comcast dot net

    > ok, thank you.

    I just put my diagnostic disk in my machine and am ready to boot it.
    I will follow you and perhaps I can help this way. Doing it by email
    is much easier.....

    CT

  2. Re: question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170

    Tim Knight wrote:
    > On Dec 1, 4:14 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >>> Have you formatted your hard drive(s) in preparation to receive AIX
    >>> 5.3?

    >> No, I haven't. Do I have to do this via the Diag CDROM?

    > Yes....the safest way is to wipe your hard drive clean unless there is
    > something on there you want to keep. If this is a new machine, format
    > your drives.
    >>

    >>> By the way, if you would like to contact me by email, my address is:
    >>> dogpatch11 at comcast dot net

    >> ok, thank you.

    > I just put my diagnostic disk in my machine and am ready to boot it.
    > I will follow you and perhaps I can help this way. Doing it by email
    > is much easier.....
    >
    > CT

    ok..

  3. Re: question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170

    > from the Service guide (If give you a link, but I don't remember where
    > I got it from, I'll email if needed):
    > 4BA00830 - Boot fail

    Right now I think I have another problem. I can boot from DiagCDROM just
    fine: upgraded the firmware, formatted and certified the 2 harddisks.
    Then, reboot and try to boot from first AIX 5.3 CDROM. After the initial
    menu I just let it boot, get the RS/6000 screen and it reboots again and
    again and then ends in 4BA00830 error.
    I shutdown the machine by pressing the powerbutton, power it up again
    and go intio the SMS menu. Then I select CDROM for finding installation
    source: CDROM: AIX 5.3 which can be selected just fine. Then I go to the
    selection of boot devices and find that I can only select the CDROM, fd0
    and the ethernet. No harddisk available to select.
    What can I do next to ensure I can select them?

  4. Re: question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170

    Huub schrieb:

    > again and then ends in 4BA00830 error.
    > I shutdown the machine by pressing the powerbutton, power it up again
    > and go intio the SMS menu. Then I select CDROM for finding installation
    > source: CDROM: AIX 5.3 which can be selected just fine. Then I go to the
    > selection of boot devices and find that I can only select the CDROM, fd0
    > and the ethernet. No harddisk available to select.
    > What can I do next to ensure I can select them?

    This looks more like some of your hardware (or the CD media) are broken.
    The 170 service guide has some advice on the 4BA00830.
    If not on the IBM site, you can find it e.g. here:

    maben.homeip.net/static/computers/aix/machines%20tapes%20disks/44P/instservice.pdf

  5. Re: question on installing AIX 5.3 on 44p-170

    > This looks more like some of your hardware (or the CD media) are broken.
    > The 170 service guide has some advice on the 4BA00830.
    > If not on the IBM site, you can find it e.g. here:
    >
    > maben.homeip.net/static/computers/aix/machines%20tapes%20disks/44P/instservice.pdf

    OK, turns out to be the media. Got other CDROM from the boss with made a
    straightforward boot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2