Bash /etc/bash.bashrc - Aix

This is a discussion on Bash /etc/bash.bashrc - Aix ; Hi I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates ...

  1. Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    Hi

    I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up
    /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX
    uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some global
    configuration file?

    Thanks for help in advance

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  2. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    In news:fim3hj$7gb$1@inews.gazeta.pl,
    Filip Kata typed:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set
    > up /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for
    > AIX
    > uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    > bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    > bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some
    > global configuration file?
    >
    > Thanks for help in advance

    Read man bash

    # cat .bash_profile
    if [ -x ~/.bashrc ]
    then
    . ~/.bashrc
    fi

    # cat .bashrc
    [ -x /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc

    # cat /etc/bashrc
    PS1="\u@\h:\w\\$ "
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/vac/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/apps/scripts/mis
    MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man

    export PS1 PATH MANPATH

    alias ltr='ls -ltr'

    ----

    This config works nice with 'screen' CTRL+A too

    --
    Regards
    Piotrek Kapczuk

  3. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    On Nov 29, 11:15 am, Filip Kata wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up
    > /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX
    > uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    > bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    > bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some global
    > configuration file?

    man profile # /etc/profile - used by ksh,sh and bash

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    Hajo Ehlers pisze:
    > On Nov 29, 11:15 am, Filip Kata wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up
    >> /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX
    >> uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    >> bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    >> bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some global
    >> configuration file?

    > man profile # /etc/profile - used by ksh,sh and bash

    Doesn't work with /etc/profile. I have to check it again.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  5. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    piotr::kapczuk pisze:
    > In news:fim3hj$7gb$1@inews.gazeta.pl,
    > Filip Kata typed:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set
    >> up /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for
    >> AIX
    >> uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    >> bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    >> bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some
    >> global configuration file?
    >>
    >> Thanks for help in advance

    > Read man bash

    Great answer. But you don't see the point. I don't want to allow users
    to turn it off so it must be in global file which is not globally
    writable. When I set this variable in /etc/profile it doesn't work when
    user has Korn as default shell and invokes bash from Korn.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  6. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    Hajo Ehlers pisze:
    > On Nov 29, 11:15 am, Filip Kata wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up
    >> /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX
    >> uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    >> bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    >> bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some global
    >> configuration file?

    > man profile # /etc/profile - used by ksh,sh and bash

    /etc/profile is not used when you invoke bash directly from Korn command
    line.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  7. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    In news:fj9559$14r$3@inews.gazeta.pl,
    Filip Kata typed:

    > piotr::kapczuk pisze:
    >> In news:fim3hj$7gb$1@inews.gazeta.pl,
    >> Filip Kata typed:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to
    >>> set up /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version
    >>> for
    >>> AIX
    >>> uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates
    >>> in bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T"
    >>> because bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to
    >>> read some global configuration file?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for help in advance

    >> Read man bash

    > Great answer. But you don't see the point. I don't want to allow users
    > to turn it off so it must be in global file which is not globally
    > writable. When I set this variable in /etc/profile it doesn't work
    > when user has Korn as default shell and invokes bash from Korn.

    If a user has shell access there are many ways to turn something off.
    Try to look into AIX auditing features. There may be a solution for you.

    --
    Regards
    Piotrek Kapczuk

  8. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    On Dec 6, 4:40 pm, Filip Kata wrote:
    > Hajo Ehlers pisze:
    >
    > > On Nov 29, 11:15 am, Filip Kata wrote:
    > >> Hi

    > >> I have recently installed bash from IBM toolbox and I'm trying to set up
    > >> /etc/bash.bashrc but it seems (truss says so) that version for AIX
    > >> uses only rc files in user home directories. I need to set up dates in
    > >> bash history with environment variable HISTTIMEFORMAT="%FT%T" because
    > >> bash doesn't use EXTENDED_HISTORY. How to force bash to read some global
    > >> configuration file?

    > > man profile # /etc/profile - used by ksh,sh and bash

    > /etc/profile is not used when you invoke bash directly from Korn command
    > line.

    Of cource not since /etc/profile is used for login session.
    So you might change the user default shell to bash or if not possible
    or feasible then have the user invoce the bash to act as a login
    shell.

    $ bash -l
    and
    $ man bash

    hth
    Hajo

  9. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    piotr::kapczuk pisze:
    > In news:fj9559$14r$3@inews.gazeta.pl,
    > Filip Kata typed:
    >
    >> piotr::kapczuk pisze:
    >>> In news:fim3hj$7gb$1@inews.gazeta.pl,
    >>> Filip Kata typed:

    >>> Read man bash

    >> Great answer. But you don't see the point. I don't want to allow users
    >> to turn it off so it must be in global file which is not globally
    >> writable. When I set this variable in /etc/profile it doesn't work
    >> when user has Korn as default shell and invokes bash from Korn.

    > If a user has shell access there are many ways to turn something off.
    > Try to look into AIX auditing features. There may be a solution for you.

    We have auditing for selected events but it would be nice also to have
    date in history of issued commands. That's pity that Bash don't work
    with EXTENDED_HISTORY.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  10. Re: Bash /etc/bash.bashrc

    Hajo Ehlers pisze:
    > On Dec 6, 4:40 pm, Filip Kata wrote:
    >> Hajo Ehlers pisze:

    >>> man profile # /etc/profile - used by ksh,sh and bash

    >> /etc/profile is not used when you invoke bash directly from Korn command
    >> line.

    > Of cource not since /etc/profile is used for login session.
    > So you might change the user default shell to bash or if not possible
    > or feasible then have the user invoce the bash to act as a login
    > shell.

    And here is the problem because we have ksh as our standard shell. Only
    on some machines bash is installed.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata