Use of 24/32-bits UIDs in AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on Use of 24/32-bits UIDs in AIX - Aix ; Hi all, I am looking into evaluating the use of 24 or 32-bits based UIDís for an user account management tool which runs on most UNIX flavours, including AIX. Iíd like to know from which AIX version IBM has introduced ...

  1. Use of 24/32-bits UIDs in AIX

    Hi all,

    I am looking into evaluating the use of 24 or 32-bits based UIDís for an
    user account management tool which runs on most UNIX flavours, including
    AIX.

    Iíd like to know from which AIX version IBM has introduced support for
    24-bits or 32-bits UIDís.

    Additionally, Iíd like to hear of any potential pitfalls, caveats when
    using not so standard configurations such HACMP cluster etc.

    Any references to online resources, white papers or official vendor
    specs would also be very helpful.

    Regards,

    Patrick Van der Veken
    Hewlett-Packard

  2. Re: Use of 24/32-bits UIDs in AIX

    Patrick Van der Veken schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am looking into evaluating the use of 24 or 32-bits based UIDís for an
    > user account management tool which runs on most UNIX flavours, including
    > AIX.
    >
    > Iíd like to know from which AIX version IBM has introduced support for
    > 24-bits or 32-bits UIDís.
    >
    > Additionally, Iíd like to hear of any potential pitfalls, caveats when
    > using not so standard configurations such HACMP cluster etc.
    >
    > Any references to online resources, white papers or official vendor
    > specs would also be very helpful.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Patrick Van der Veken
    > Hewlett-Packard

    see the definition for uid_t in /usr/include/sys/types.h

    As far as I remember this was 32 bit back in AIX 3.1 days.
    But sure, I don't have any docs nor systems running that
    releaseto check

+ Reply to Thread