sftp error - Aix

This is a discussion on sftp error - Aix ; I can use SSH just fine, but get an error when using SFTP. Error is: "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0" Has anyone else run into this? This is AIX 5.3 ML 4. lslpp -L | grep -i ...

  1. sftp error

    I can use SSH just fine, but get an error when using SFTP. Error is:
    "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0"

    Has anyone else run into this? This is AIX 5.3 ML 4.

    lslpp -L | grep -i ssh
    openssh.base.client 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    Commands
    openssh.base.server 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    Server
    openssh.license 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    License
    openssh.man.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    openssh.msg.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    Messages -

    Thanks for the help,

    Rich

  2. Re: sftp error

    On Nov 27, 1:13 pm, glaz...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I can use SSH just fine, but get an error when using SFTP. Error is:
    > "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0"
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this? This is AIX 5.3 ML 4.
    >
    > lslpp -L | grep -i ssh
    > openssh.base.client 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Commands
    > openssh.base.server 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Server
    > openssh.license 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    > License
    > openssh.man.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    > openssh.msg.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    > Messages -
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Rich

    The target system you're trying to get to has to be able to run a
    program called sftp-server. On my AIX systems this is
    /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server but your mileage may vary. Make
    sure that the permissions both on this executable and the
    containing directories are such as to allow it to be run.

    HTH

    Jim Lane

  3. Re: sftp error

    Jim.Lane@cibc.com schrieb:
    > On Nov 27, 1:13 pm, glaz...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I can use SSH just fine, but get an error when using SFTP. Error is:
    >> "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0"
    >>
    >> Has anyone else run into this? This is AIX 5.3 ML 4.
    >>
    >> lslpp -L | grep -i ssh
    >> openssh.base.client 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    >> Commands
    >> openssh.base.server 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    >> Server
    >> openssh.license 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    >> License
    >> openssh.man.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    >> openssh.msg.en_US 4.1.0.5300 C F Open Secure Shell
    >> Messages -
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help,
    >>
    >> Rich

    > The target system you're trying to get to has to be able to run a
    > program called sftp-server. On my AIX systems this is
    > /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server but your mileage may vary. Make
    > sure that the permissions both on this executable and the
    > containing directories are such as to allow it to be run.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim Lane

    If above post didnt help, look at the configuration file
    /etc.../sshd_config and
    look if following line is present:
    Subsystem sftp /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server

    with best regards
    Dieter Stumpner

  4. Re: sftp error

    Thanks guys! That was it... I needed to change the path. I had to
    change it from:

    Subsystem sftp /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server

    Subsystem sftp /usr/sbin/sftp-server

+ Reply to Thread