Flood of "FCS_ERR2" during failover of EMC MPIO disks - Aix

This is a discussion on Flood of "FCS_ERR2" during failover of EMC MPIO disks - Aix ; I have server(AIX5.3) with 2 FC adapters and EMC DMX3 disks configured with "EMC Symmetrix FCP MPIO Support". When I pull out one of the FC adapter, AIX report "PATH has Failed" and disks IO is failovered to second adapter. ...

  1. Flood of "FCS_ERR2" during failover of EMC MPIO disks

    I have server(AIX5.3) with 2 FC adapters and EMC DMX3 disks configured with
    "EMC Symmetrix FCP MPIO Support".
    When I pull out one of the FC adapter, AIX report "PATH has Failed" and
    disks IO is failovered to second adapter.
    This work fine.

    The only thing that bothers me is the flood of "FCS_ERR2(FSCSI_ERR6)" for
    disconnected adapter during the "unplugged" period.
    I'm getting hundred of these errors.
    Is it normal behaviour and can it be suppresed?

    Thanks in advance,
    Davor

  2. Re: Flood of "FCS_ERR2" during failover of EMC MPIO disks

    Davor H wrote:
    > I have server(AIX5.3) with 2 FC adapters and EMC DMX3 disks configured with
    > "EMC Symmetrix FCP MPIO Support".
    > When I pull out one of the FC adapter, AIX report "PATH has Failed" and
    > disks IO is failovered to second adapter.
    > This work fine.
    >
    > The only thing that bothers me is the flood of "FCS_ERR2(FSCSI_ERR6)" for
    > disconnected adapter during the "unplugged" period.
    > I'm getting hundred of these errors.
    > Is it normal behaviour and can it be suppresed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Davor

    afaik the aix FC device driver generates an errpt entry for each single
    failed FC frame. if your mpio software reports failures reliably, you
    should be fine to let your monitoring software filter out the FC_ERRs.

    Regards,
    Joachim Gann

  3. Re: Flood of "FCS_ERR2" during failover of EMC MPIO disks

    On Nov 24, 6:16 pm, "Davor H" wrote:
    > I have server(AIX5.3) with 2 FC adapters and EMC DMX3 disks configured with
    > "EMC Symmetrix FCP MPIO Support".
    > When I pull out one of the FC adapter, AIX report "PATH has Failed" and
    > disks IO is failovered to second adapter.
    > This work fine.

    Check seeting and documentation about
    fc_err_recov=on and dyntrk=yes on the fcsci device and maybe a hba
    firmware upgrade might give some help also.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread