hidden .nfs files on AIX5.2 - Aix

This is a discussion on hidden .nfs files on AIX5.2 - Aix ; Hello All, Hidden .nfs* files are created in a newly created directories under a non-root account. The directory containing .nfs* files cannot be deleted with 'rm -rf' . When I delete the files one by one new .nfs* files created. ...

  1. hidden .nfs files on AIX5.2

    Hello All,

    Hidden .nfs* files are created in a newly created directories under a
    non-root account. The directory containing .nfs* files cannot be
    deleted with 'rm -rf' . When I delete the files one by one new .nfs*
    files created.
    Has anyone run on this problem?

    Thanks,
    Alona

  2. Re: hidden .nfs files on AIX5.2

    Alona writes:

    > Hidden .nfs* files are created in a newly created directories under a
    > non-root account. The directory containing .nfs* files cannot be
    > deleted with 'rm -rf' . When I delete the files one by one new .nfs*
    > files created.
    > Has anyone run on this problem?

    This is quite common -- the file you are trying to delete is still
    open, and because of that the NFS server has to keep it around,
    so it renames the file to .nfs

    You need to figure out what's holding the file open. It could be
    that there is a process that is still using it, or it could be that
    the file is actually a shared library which got "stuck" in memory.

    If the former, kill that process.
    If the latter, run '/sbin/slibclean' (requires root).

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread