Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2) - Aix

This is a discussion on Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2) - Aix ; We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not boot. Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib, /usr/bin and ...

  1. Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2)

    We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We
    tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not
    boot.

    Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib,
    /usr/bin and /etc from tape, but still the machine would not boot.

    After we made a preservation Installation and updated the AIX level to the
    one before problems started the machine booted. Then we restored /etc from
    tape, and the machine still booted.

    Now the system and applications seem to work fine, but some filesets are
    in 'inconsistent state'. We have a copy of /etc from the time before
    restoring it from tape, should we just copy back the following files in
    /etc/objrepos

    history*
    lpp*
    product*
    inventory*

    Is this enough?

  2. Re: Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2)

    On Nov 22, 4:00 am, Paivio Pollari wrote:
    > We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We
    > tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not
    > boot.
    >
    > Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib,
    > /usr/bin and /etc from tape, but still the machine would not boot.
    >
    > After we made a preservation Installation and updated the AIX level to the
    > one before problems started the machine booted. Then we restored /etc from
    > tape, and the machine still booted.
    >
    > Now the system and applications seem to work fine, but some filesets are
    > in 'inconsistent state'. We have a copy of /etc from the time before
    > restoring it from tape, should we just copy back the following files in
    > /etc/objrepos
    >
    > history*
    > lpp*
    > product*
    > inventory*
    >
    > Is this enough?

    The command you're looking for is lppchk. It examines the system to
    determine
    if all filesets are properly installed with prereqs and all that. If
    not, it will
    tell you something about why not. I'm in the happy position of never
    having
    needed it so I can't get more specific than that but it should be your
    next step.

    HTH

    Jim Lane

  3. Re: Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2)

    Jim.Lane@cibc.com wrote:
    > On Nov 22, 4:00 am, Paivio Pollari wrote:
    >> We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We
    >> tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not
    >> boot.
    >>
    >> Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib,
    >> /usr/bin and /etc from tape, but still the machine would not boot.
    >>
    >> After we made a preservation Installation and updated the AIX level to the
    >> one before problems started the machine booted. Then we restored /etc from
    >> tape, and the machine still booted.
    >>
    >> Now the system and applications seem to work fine, but some filesets are
    >> in 'inconsistent state'. We have a copy of /etc from the time before
    >> restoring it from tape, should we just copy back the following files in
    >> /etc/objrepos
    >>
    >> history*
    >> lpp*
    >> product*
    >> inventory*
    >>
    >> Is this enough?

    > The command you're looking for is lppchk. It examines the system to
    > determine
    > if all filesets are properly installed with prereqs and all that. If
    > not, it will
    > tell you something about why not. I'm in the happy position of never
    > having
    > needed it so I can't get more specific than that but it should be your
    > next step.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim Lane

    E.g. for bos.perf.tools we get

    lslpp -l bos.perf.tools
    Fileset Level State Description

    bos.perf.tools 5.2.0.75 APPLIED Base Performance Tools

    lppchk -v bos.perf.tools
    lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring
    the system to a consistent state:

    bos.perf.tools 5.2.0.40 (usr: not installed, root:
    COMMITTED)
    bos.perf.tools 5.2.0.50 (usr: not installed, root:
    COMMITTED)
    bos.perf.tools 5.2.0.60 (usr: not installed, root:
    COMMITTED)
    bos.perf.tools 5.2.0.75 (usr: not installed, root:
    APPLIED)

    and normal reinstallation fails (we haven't tried with force, or first
    removing and then reinstalling)

+ Reply to Thread