Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2) - Aix

This is a discussion on Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2) - Aix ; We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not boot. Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib, /usr/bin and ...

  1. Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2)

    We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We
    tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not
    boot.

    Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib,
    /usr/bin and /etc from tape, but still the machine would not boot.

    After we made a preservation Installation and updated the AIX level to the
    one before problems started, the machine booted. Then we restored /etc
    from tape, and the machine still booted.

    Now the system and applications seem to work fine, but some filesets are
    in 'inconsistent state'. We have a copy of /etc from the time before
    restoring it from tape, should we just copy back the following files in
    /etc/objrepos

    history*
    lpp*
    product*
    inventory*

    Is this enough?

  2. Re: Recovery from deletion disaster (AIX 5.2)

    Paivio Pollari wrote:
    > We lost all data from /usr/lib and /usr/bin in our p520 (AIX 5.2). We
    > tried to recover them from NetWorker backups but the machine would not
    > boot.
    >
    > Then we tried a Preservation Installation from CD and restored /usr/lib,
    > /usr/bin and /etc from tape, but still the machine would not boot.
    >
    > After we made a preservation Installation and updated the AIX level to the
    > one before problems started, the machine booted. Then we restored /etc
    > from tape, and the machine still booted.
    >
    > Now the system and applications seem to work fine, but some filesets are
    > in 'inconsistent state'. We have a copy of /etc from the time before
    > restoring it from tape, should we just copy back the following files in
    > /etc/objrepos
    >
    > history*
    > lpp*
    > product*
    > inventory*
    >
    > Is this enough?

    We did this a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that the system is working
    fine.

+ Reply to Thread