exporting DISPLAY question/problem - Aix

This is a discussion on exporting DISPLAY question/problem - Aix ; Hi, I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop. Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    Hi,

    I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop.
    Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl
    " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. Then after some time I get
    "host: 0827-803 Cannot find address 192.168.30.110.".
    Then adding IP laptop> to xhost "xhost +>IP laptop>" gives "1356-200
    xhost unable to open display ".

    I suppose I'm forgetting something essential, but what?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 20, 12:24 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop.
    > Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl
    > " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= > laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. Then after some time I get
    > "host: 0827-803 Cannot find address 192.168.30.110.".
    > Then adding IP laptop> to xhost "xhost +>IP laptop>" gives "1356-200
    > xhost unable to open display ".
    >
    > I suppose I'm forgetting something essential, but what?
    >
    > Thanks.

    When login using ssh and -X, ssh will set the DISPLAY variable for you
    since it is creating a tunnel for you. Thus you should NOT reexport
    the DISPLAY variable to something else.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 20, 3:24 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop.
    > Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl
    > " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= > laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. Then after some time I get
    > "host: 0827-803 Cannot find address 192.168.30.110.".
    > Then adding IP laptop> to xhost "xhost +>IP laptop>" gives "1356-200
    > xhost unable to open display ".
    >
    > I suppose I'm forgetting something essential, but what?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try adding your IP address to your local host file. i.e
    192.163.30.110 linuxhostname

  4. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > When login using ssh and -X, ssh will set the DISPLAY variable for you
    > since it is creating a tunnel for you. Thus you should NOT reexport
    > the DISPLAY variable to something else.

    $ ssh -YX 192.168.30.116

    Without exporting:

    $ xclock &
    [1] 13894
    $ Error: Can't open display:

    [1] + Done(1) xclock &
    $

    Any other suggestions?

  5. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 21, 6:44 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > When login using ssh and -X, ssh will set the DISPLAY variable for you
    > > since it is creating a tunnel for you. Thus you should NOT reexport
    > > the DISPLAY variable to something else.

    > $ ssh -YX 192.168.30.116
    >
    > Without exporting:
    >
    > $ xclock &
    > [1] 13894
    > $ Error: Can't open display:
    >
    > [1] + Done(1) xclock &
    > $
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    1) Check the DISPLAY variable. Should be set to something like :
    localhost:12:0
    2) Check that the AIX package X11.apps.config is installed.
    $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config
    3) Check that X-Forwarding is allowed thus the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    contains a line with:
    X11Forwarding yes

    hth
    Hajo

  6. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > 1) Check the DISPLAY variable. Should be set to something like :
    > localhost:12:0

    $ echo $DISPLAY

    $

    > 2) Check that the AIX package X11.apps.config is installed.
    > $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config

    $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config
    X11.apps.config 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED AIXwindows Configuration

    > 3) Check that X-Forwarding is allowed thus the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    > contains a line with:
    > X11Forwarding yes

    Host *
    ForwardAgent yes
    ForwardX11 yes

  7. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On 21 Nov., 08:40, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > 1) Check the DISPLAY variable. Should be set to something like :
    > > localhost:12:0

    > $ echo $DISPLAY

    Then check why the DISPLAY variable is not set.
    - XAUTH might be missing of not found

    - DISPLAY variable will be set for some reason by your login
    envrionment
    ( ksh: .profile, .kshrc )

    - Run ssh in debug mode
    $ ssh -v -v -v AixHost

    - Run the sshd in debug mode and forground

    > > 2) Check that the AIX package X11.apps.config is installed.
    > > $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config

    > $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config
    > X11.apps.config 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED AIXwindows Configuration

    A little bit out dated. Might be also the cause of the problem

    > > 3) Check that X-Forwarding is allowed thus the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    > > contains a line with:
    > > X11Forwarding yes

    > Host *
    > ForwardAgent yes
    > ForwardX11 yes

    What Version of ssh are you using ?

    hth
    Hajo

  8. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > Then check why the DISPLAY variable is not set.
    > - XAUTH might be missing of not found

    How do I check?
    $ ssh -v- -v -v
    OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

    debug3: Ignored env SSH_AUTH_SOCK

    debug3: Ignored env XAUTHORITY

    > - DISPLAY variable will be set for some reason by your login
    > envrionment
    > ( ksh: .profile, .kshrc )

    Not set by either one.

    > - Run ssh in debug mode
    > $ ssh -v -v -v AixHost
    >
    > - Run the sshd in debug mode and forground
    >
    >>> 2) Check that the AIX package X11.apps.config is installed.
    >>> $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config

    >> $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config
    >> X11.apps.config 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED AIXwindows Configuration

    > A little bit out dated. Might be also the cause of the problem

    If so: I don't have a NIM-server. How can I update this then?

    >>> 3) Check that X-Forwarding is allowed thus the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    >>> contains a line with:
    >>> X11Forwarding yes

    >> Host *
    >> ForwardAgent yes
    >> ForwardX11 yes

    > What Version of ssh are you using ?

    $ lslpp -l | grep openssh
    openssh.base.client 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Commands
    openssh.base.server 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Server
    openssh.license 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell License
    openssh.man.en_US 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell
    openssh.msg.en_US 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell
    Messages -
    openssh.base.client 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Commands
    openssh.base.server 4.3.0.5301 COMMITTED Open Secure Shell Server

  9. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    Huub pisze:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop.
    > Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl
    > " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= > laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. Then after some time I get
    > "host: 0827-803 Cannot find address 192.168.30.110.".
    > Then adding IP laptop> to xhost "xhost +>IP laptop>" gives "1356-200
    > xhost unable to open display ".
    >
    > I suppose I'm forgetting something essential, but what?

    Have you checked xauth? Maybe it blocks it on your laptop.

    --
    Pozdrawiam
    Filip Kata

  10. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On 21 Nov., 11:38, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > Then check why the DISPLAY variable is not set.
    > > - XAUTH might be missing of not found

    > How do I check?
    > $ ssh -v- -v -v

    Of cource it should be

    $ ssh -v -v -v -X

    > If so: I don't have a NIM-server. How can I update this then?

    http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/suppo...l/pfixpacks/53

    or configure suma ( smitty suma ). You should have your own filesystem
    for /usr/sys/inst.images

    Hajo

  11. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > $ ssh -v -v -v -X

    debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/xauth list :0.0 2>/dev/null
    debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
    debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0

    but further same result.

    >> If so: I don't have a NIM-server. How can I update this then?

    > http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/suppo...l/pfixpacks/53
    >
    > or configure suma ( smitty suma ). You should have your own filesystem
    > for /usr/sys/inst.images

    Didn't think of that...being an AIX newbie.

  12. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 20, 6:24 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to export the display from my 5.3 server to my linux laptop.
    > Both have static IPs. Logging into the server with "ssh -Xl
    > " (capital X, small letter el), then "export DISPLAY= > laptop>:0", "xclock &", nothing happens. Then after some time I get
    > "host: 0827-803 Cannot find address 192.168.30.110.".
    > Then adding IP laptop> to xhost "xhost +>IP laptop>" gives "1356-200
    > xhost unable to open display ".
    >
    > I suppose I'm forgetting something essential, but what?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Perhaps the message means just what it says. What is 192.168.30.110?
    Can you ping it from the system on which you're exporting DISPLAY?

    HTH

    Jim Lane

  13. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On 21 Nov., 13:15, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > $ ssh -v -v -v -X

    > debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/bin/xauth list :0.0 2>/dev/null
    > debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
    > debug2: channel 0: request x11-req confirm 0

    On our system i get .... : /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth list :0.0 . 2>/dev/
    null ..... and on none of our AIX systems i have /usr/bin/xauth
    For other readers: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth is not listed within an lslpp -
    f since /usr/X11R6/bin is a link to /usr/lpp/X11/bin

    So please check
    $ lslpp -f | grep xauth$ | xargs -n1 ls -l
    $ ls -l /usr/bin/xauth /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth /usr/lpp/X11/bin/xauth

    But i think you should update your system . Currently ML7 is available
    for AIX 5.3
    hth
    Hajo

  14. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > Perhaps the message means just what it says. What is 192.168.30.110?
    > Can you ping it from the system on which you're exporting DISPLAY?
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim Lane

    Yes, pinging the laptop from the server is no problem.

  15. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    Huub schrieb:

    >> 3) Check that X-Forwarding is allowed thus the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    >> contains a line with:
    >> X11Forwarding yes

    > Host *
    > ForwardAgent yes
    > ForwardX11 yes

    I had such a problem years back after updating ssh.
    I'm not sure if it was an update to 3.8, 4.x ...?.
    As far as I can remember there was some change on
    the client side. So check ssh_config on the client
    side too. See
    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh_config
    it has ForwardX11 and ForwardX11Trusted ...

  16. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    Huub schrieb:

    >>> $ lslpp -l | grep X11.apps.config
    >>> X11.apps.config 5.3.0.0 COMMITTED AIXwindows
    >>> Configuration

    >> A little bit out dated. Might be also the cause of the problem

    Do not update this package to 5.3.0.30, it has a bug in xauth.
    Use 5.3.0.31 or later.

  17. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    > But i think you should update your system . Currently ML7 is available
    > for AIX 5.3
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Could only see 5300 and 5300-01. How can I see ML7? How do I set NUMA to
    that if possible?

  18. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 22, 12:51 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > Perhaps the message means just what it says. What is 192.168.30.110?
    > > Can you ping it from the system on which you're exporting DISPLAY?

    > > HTH

    > > Jim Lane

    > Yes, pinging the laptop from the server is no problem.

    OK. Does name resolution for the host represented by 192.168.30.110
    work in both directions? AFAIK it must do or X11 communications won't
    work.

    -Jim Lane

  19. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    On Nov 22, 1:05 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > But i think you should update your system . Currently ML7 is available
    > > for AIX 5.3
    > > hth
    > > Hajo

    > Could only see 5300 and 5300-01. How can I see ML7? How do I set NUMA to
    > that if possible?

    Execute :

    $ suma -x -a Action=Preview -a RqType=ML -a RqName='5300-07'

    The packages will be copied to /usr/sys/inst.images/installp/ppc
    After suma finished do an

    $ update_all -d /usr/sys/inst.images

    and reboot the system

    $ shutdown -Fr

    For details read
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ai...updateaix.html

    hth
    Hajo

  20. Re: exporting DISPLAY question/problem

    Ups, i mean
    $ suma -x -a Action=Download -a RqType=ML -a RqName='5300-07'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast