ls * not working - Aix

This is a discussion on ls * not working - Aix ; Hi, On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted devices. 'ls' by itself works fine. .... however, 'ls *' does not find any files. I am not the administrator of this server or the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. ls * not working

    Hi,

    On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    devices.

    'ls' by itself works fine.

    .... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.

    I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.

    Thanks

  2. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 8:57 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > devices.
    >
    > 'ls' by itself works fine.
    >
    > ... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.
    >
    > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Upon further playing, it appears that it is not in fact the 'ls'
    command. When I do 'cat *' it also doe not work. So, there is
    something wrong with the '*' (asterisk)?
    How can this be? And... it appears that the '?' (question mark) is
    also displaying the same problems. Simply not working.

    So... given that the file 'abc.csv' absolutely exists, when I simply
    'ls' I can see the file. When I 'ls abc.csv' I also see the file.
    When I 'ls ab*' I see no results. When I 'ls abc.???' I see no
    results. Also, replacing 'ls' with 'cat' I also get the same bad
    behaviour'.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  3. Re: ls * not working

    jfs or jfs2 ((probably antiquated jfs right)) ?

    find /some_dir | wc -l ## more than 1000 ?

    ls will do a readdir, ls * will open the inode .. perf issue, jfs is
    crap .. jfs2 isnt much better .. actually, it is perf wise because
    it uses btree architecture, but it has a gaping hole with readdir
    which is fixed in aix 5.4 (aix6).

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

  4. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 8:57 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > devices.
    >
    > 'ls' by itself works fine.
    >
    > ... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.
    >
    > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.
    >
    > Thanks

    (not sure if my response was sent correctly. Apologies if sent
    twice...)
    Hi,
    Further playing suggests that.....
    * Not only '*' (asterisk) is failing, but '?' (question mark) also
    failing.
    * Not only 'ls' failing with wildcards, but 'cat' also failing with
    wildcards.

    So...
    Given that abc.txt exists....
    This Works: ls abc.txt
    This does not work: ls ab*
    This does not work: ls abc.???
    (also replacing 'ls' with 'cat' displays the same bad behaviour).

    Thanks

  5. Re: ls * not working

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > Given that abc.txt exists....
    > This Works: ls abc.txt
    > This does not work: ls ab*
    > This does not work: ls abc.???
    > (also replacing 'ls' with 'cat' displays the same bad behaviour).

    Globbing is turned off?

    -s

  6. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 9:31 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    > jfs or jfs2 ((probably antiquated jfs right)) ?
    >
    > find /some_dir | wc -l ## more than 1000 ?
    >
    > ls will do a readdir, ls * will open the inode .. perf issue, jfs is
    > crap .. jfs2 isnt much better .. actually, it is perf wise because
    > it uses btree architecture, but it has a gaping hole with readdir
    > which is fixed in aix 5.4 (aix6).
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Taylor

    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for reponse.

    There is many more than 1000 files on this device. About 15000 files
    actually.

    I did a 'set -o xtrace' and found that my wildcard are actually not
    being expanded.

    I wonder why this would be. It is only happenning on this paricular
    mounted device.

  7. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 9:50 am, Steve Thompson wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > > Given that abc.txt exists....
    > > This Works: ls abc.txt
    > > This does not work: ls ab*
    > > This does not work: ls abc.???
    > > (also replacing 'ls' with 'cat' displays the same bad behaviour).

    > Globbing is turned off?
    >
    > -s

    "Globbing"? I am not familiar with this.

    Even more playing finds that when I 'set -o xtrace' I notice that no
    wildcards are being expanding at all on this device. Does this have
    something to do with "Globbing"?

    Thanks

  8. Re: ls * not working

    Disco Octopus wrote:
    > (not sure if my response was sent correctly. Apologies if sent
    > twice...)
    > Hi,
    > Further playing suggests that.....
    > * Not only '*' (asterisk) is failing, but '?' (question mark) also
    > failing.
    > * Not only 'ls' failing with wildcards, but 'cat' also failing with
    > wildcards.

    # ls *
    {many many files}
    # set -o noglob
    # ls *
    *: No such file or directory
    # set +o noglob
    # ls *
    {many many files again}

    --
    Daniel

  9. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 10:11 am, "Daniel Rock" wrote:
    > Disco Octopus wrote:
    > > (not sure if my response was sent correctly. Apologies if sent
    > > twice...)
    > > Hi,
    > > Further playing suggests that.....
    > > * Not only '*' (asterisk) is failing, but '?' (question mark) also
    > > failing.
    > > * Not only 'ls' failing with wildcards, but 'cat' also failing with
    > > wildcards.

    > # ls *
    > {many many files}
    > # set -o noglob
    > # ls *
    > *: No such file or directory
    > # set +o noglob
    > # ls *
    > {many many files again}
    >
    > --
    > Daniel

    Thanks Daniel,

    I have tested this and it does not seem to work on that device.
    However it does work on other devices that are no giving me the
    problem.

    Thanks

  10. Re: ls * not working

    Disco Octopus wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 10:11 am, "Daniel Rock" wrote:
    > > Disco Octopus wrote:
    > > > (not sure if my response was sent correctly. Apologies if sent
    > > > twice...)
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Further playing suggests that.....
    > > > * Not only '*' (asterisk) is failing, but '?' (question mark) also
    > > > failing.
    > > > * Not only 'ls' failing with wildcards, but 'cat' also failing with
    > > > wildcards.

    > > # ls *
    > > {many many files}
    > > # set -o noglob
    > > # ls *
    > > *: No such file or directory
    > > # set +o noglob
    > > # ls *
    > > {many many files again}
    > >
    > > --
    > > Daniel

    > Thanks Daniel,
    >
    > I have tested this and it does not seem to work on that device.
    > However it does work on other devices that are no giving me the
    > problem.

    Can I assume that "echo *" also returns nothing?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

  11. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 12:45 pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > # ls *
    > > > {many many files}
    > > > # set -o noglob
    > > > # ls *
    > > > *: No such file or directory
    > > > # set +o noglob
    > > > # ls *
    > > > {many many files again}

    > > > --
    > > > Daniel

    > > Thanks Daniel,

    > > I have tested this and it does not seem to work on that device.
    > > However it does work on other devices that are no giving me the
    > > problem.

    > Can I assume that "echo *" also returns nothing?
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/

    Actually, echo * returns...
    *
    .... like this....

    # set -o xtrace
    # echo *
    + echo *
    *
    #

  12. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 12:45 pm, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > Thanks Daniel,

    > > > I have tested this and it does not seem to work on that device.
    > > > However it does work on other devices that are no giving me the
    > > > problem.

    > > Can I assume that "echo *" also returns nothing?

    > > --
    > > David J Dachtera
    > > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/

    > Actually, echo * returns...
    > *
    > ... like this....
    >
    > # set -o xtrace
    > # echo *
    > + echo *
    > *

    What happens if you do:
    ls -leai "\*"

    You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    to it ?!

  13. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 4:54 am, jp wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 14, 12:45 pm, David J Dachtera
    > > wrote:

    > > > Can I assume that "echo *" also returns nothing?

    > > > --
    > > > David J Dachtera
    > > > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/

    > > Actually, echo * returns...
    > > *
    > > ... like this....

    > > # set -o xtrace
    > > # echo *
    > > + echo *
    > > *

    > What happens if you do:
    > ls -leai "\*"
    >
    > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > to it ?!

    also possible:
    you dont have (rx) permission on the directory itself that you are in.
    you dont have (rx) permission on the parent directory of that which
    you are in.
    you dont have (rx) permission on the underlying directory of the
    filesystem that you have mounted.

  14. Re: ls * not working

    >>There is many more than 1000 files on this device. About 15000 files actually.

    then that is your issue ..

    limit the number of files in a dir, or migrate to jfs2

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

  15. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 1:45 am, Mark Taylor wrote:
    > >>There is many more than 1000 files on this device. About 15000 files actually.

    > then that is your issue ..
    >
    > limit the number of files in a dir, or migrate to jfs2
    >
    > Rgds
    > Mark Taylor

    Hi Mark,

    But these files are split across many folders within the directory
    structure. There may only be one or two or a dozen files in a given
    sub directory of this mounted device. All directories and sub
    directories are displaying this problem.

    Thanks

  16. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 8:54 pm, jp wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 14, 12:45 pm, David J Dachtera
    > > wrote:

    > > > Can I assume that "echo *" also returns nothing?

    > > > --
    > > > David J Dachtera
    > > > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/

    > > Actually, echo * returns...
    > > *
    > > ... like this....

    > > # set -o xtrace
    > > # echo *
    > > + echo *
    > > *

    > What happens if you do:
    > ls -leai "\*"
    >
    > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > to it ?!

    Thanks JP,

    This ls command gives me the same result... "ls: 0653-341 The file \*
    does not exist."

    There is definitely no irregularly named file in the directory, as
    this problem occurs everywhere within the structure of this mounted
    device

    After some playing, it is apparent that when wildcards are used on
    that mounted device, no wildcards are being expanded. However, it is
    working correectly on parent directories that are not this mounted
    device.

    Thanks

  17. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 12:24 am, a...@mail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:54 am, jp wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > Actually, echo * returns...
    > > > *
    > > > ... like this....

    > > > # set -o xtrace
    > > > # echo *
    > > > + echo *
    > > > *

    > > What happens if you do:
    > > ls -leai "\*"

    > > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > > to it ?!

    > also possible:
    > you dont have (rx) permission on the directory itself that you are in.
    > you dont have (rx) permission on the parent directory of that which
    > you are in.
    > you dont have (rx) permission on the underlying directory of the
    > filesystem that you have mounted.

    All permissions seem fine. I am owner of the directory, the parent,
    the files, etc, and I have tested these with 777 on all in the tree.

  18. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 4:01 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 8:54 pm, jp wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > Actually, echo * returns...
    > > > *
    > > > ... like this....

    > > > # set -o xtrace
    > > > # echo *
    > > > + echo *
    > > > *

    > > What happens if you do:
    > > ls -leai "\*"

    > > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > > to it ?!

    > Thanks JP,
    >
    > This ls command gives me the same result... "ls: 0653-341 The file \*
    > does not exist."
    >
    > There is definitely no irregularly named file in the directory, as
    > this problem occurs everywhere within the structure of this mounted
    > device
    >
    > After some playing, it is apparent that when wildcards are used on
    > that mounted device, no wildcards are being expanded. However, it is
    > working correectly on parent directories that are not this mounted
    > device.
    >
    > Thanks

    if I create a file called "*", it gives the same response. just in
    case, try:
    ls -leai \*
    without the quotes.

  19. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 14, 4:36 pm, a...@mail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:01 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > What happens if you do:
    > > > ls -leai "\*"

    > > > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > > > to it ?!

    > > Thanks JP,

    > > This ls command gives me the same result... "ls: 0653-341 The file \*
    > > does not exist."

    > > There is definitely no irregularly named file in the directory, as
    > > this problem occurs everywhere within the structure of this mounted
    > > device

    > > After some playing, it is apparent that when wildcards are used on
    > > that mounted device, no wildcards are being expanded. However, it is
    > > working correectly on parent directories that are not this mounted
    > > device.

    > > Thanks

    > if I create a file called "*", it gives the same response. just in
    > case, try:
    > ls -leai \*
    > without the quotes.

    also, what about giving some info about the device.. df -g, mount,
    lsfs, etc..

  20. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 8:41 am, a...@mail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:36 pm, a...@mail.com wrote:

    > > > Thanks JP,

    > > > This ls command gives me the same result... "ls: 0653-341 The file \*
    > > > does not exist."

    > > > There is definitely no irregularly named file in the directory, as
    > > > this problem occurs everywhere within the structure of this mounted
    > > > device

    > > > After some playing, it is apparent that when wildcards are used on
    > > > that mounted device, no wildcards are being expanded. However, it is
    > > > working correectly on parent directories that are not this mounted
    > > > device.

    > > > Thanks

    > > if I create a file called "*", it gives the same response. just in
    > > case, try:
    > > ls -leai \*
    > > without the quotes.

    > also, what about giving some info about the device.. df -g, mount,
    > lsfs, etc..

    Here are results from lsfs, mount , and df for the device in
    question...

    # lsfs
    Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size
    Options Auto Accounting
    /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 kognwap12 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs --
    rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3 yes no

    # mount
    node mounted mounted over vfs date
    options
    kognwap12 /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs3 Nov 14 15:48
    rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3

    # df -g .
    Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    kognwap12:/VOL1/SBDUXLH6 60.00 24.54 60% 283033 60% /
    apps/mlsbeta/import

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast