ls * not working - Aix

This is a discussion on ls * not working - Aix ; On Nov 15, 11:19 am, Disco Octopus wrote: > On Nov 15, 8:41 am, a...@mail.com wrote: > > > > > On Nov 14, 4:36 pm, a...@mail.com wrote: > > > > On Nov 14, 4:01 pm, Disco Octopus wrote: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 11:19 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 8:41 am, a...@mail.com wrote:

    > > > if I create a file called "*", it gives the same response. just in
    > > > case, try:
    > > > ls -leai \*
    > > > without the quotes.

    > > also, what about giving some info about the device.. df -g, mount,
    > > lsfs, etc..

    > Here are results from lsfs, mount , and df for the device in
    > question...
    >
    > # lsfs
    > Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size
    > Options Auto Accounting
    > /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 kognwap12 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs --
    > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3 yes no
    >
    > # mount
    > node mounted mounted over vfs date
    > options
    > -------- --------------- --------------- ------ ------------
    > ---------------
    > kognwap12 /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs3 Nov 14 15:48
    > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3
    >
    > # df -g .
    > Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > kognwap12:/VOL1/SBDUXLH6 60.00 24.54 60% 283033 60% /
    > apps/mlsbeta/import

    not sure if I'm seeing this right, but it's an NFS Filesystem ?
    An NFS Filesystem of any size is just all wrong, but a 60 GB one ?
    I completely agree with the advise about moving to JFS2. The number of
    inodes being used is also massive.
    I've had problems with "ls" failing too, it was all down to the
    reasons alluded to by others.

  2. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 9:45 am, Henry wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 11:19 am, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > also, what about giving some info about the device.. df -g, mount,
    > > > lsfs, etc..

    > > Here are results from lsfs, mount , and df for the device in
    > > question...

    > > # lsfs
    > > Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size
    > > Options Auto Accounting
    > > /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 kognwap12 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs --
    > > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3 yes no

    > > # mount
    > > node mounted mounted over vfs date
    > > options
    > > -------- --------------- --------------- ------ ------------
    > > ---------------
    > > kognwap12 /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs3 Nov 14 15:48
    > > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3

    > > # df -g .
    > > Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > > kognwap12:/VOL1/SBDUXLH6 60.00 24.54 60% 283033 60% /
    > > apps/mlsbeta/import

    > not sure if I'm seeing this right, but it's an NFS Filesystem ?
    > An NFS Filesystem of any size is just all wrong, but a 60 GB one ?
    > I completely agree with the advise about moving to JFS2. The number of
    > inodes being used is also massive.
    > I've had problems with "ls" failing too, it was all down to the
    > reasons alluded to by others.

    Thanks Henry,

    I didn't think that having a NFS would cause this. We have been using
    this for years.
    This device is shared across different platforms, but it has been for
    years.

    It is only the past week that things started going weird.

    I am not sure what you mean by "An NFS Filesystem of any size is just
    all wrong".

    Thanks

  3. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 12:18 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 9:45 am, Henry wrote:

    > > > Here are results from lsfs, mount , and df for the device in
    > > > question...

    > > > # lsfs
    > > > Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size
    > > > Options Auto Accounting
    > > > /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 kognwap12 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs --
    > > > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3 yes no

    > > > # mount
    > > > node mounted mounted over vfs date
    > > > options
    > > > -------- --------------- --------------- ------ ------------
    > > > ---------------
    > > > kognwap12 /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs3 Nov 14 15:48
    > > > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3

    > > > # df -g .
    > > > Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > > > kognwap12:/VOL1/SBDUXLH6 60.00 24.54 60% 283033 60% /
    > > > apps/mlsbeta/import

    > > not sure if I'm seeing this right, but it's an NFS Filesystem ?
    > > An NFS Filesystem of any size is just all wrong, but a 60 GB one ?
    > > I completely agree with the advise about moving to JFS2. The number of
    > > inodes being used is also massive.
    > > I've had problems with "ls" failing too, it was all down to the
    > > reasons alluded to by others.

    > Thanks Henry,
    >
    > I didn't think that having a NFS would cause this. We have been using
    > this for years.
    > This device is shared across different platforms, but it has been for
    > years.
    >
    > It is only the past week that things started going weird.
    >
    > I am not sure what you mean by "An NFS Filesystem of any size is just
    > all wrong".
    >
    > Thanks

    NFS is an insecure TCP protocol.
    You're right, weird that it's been working, and now isn't. But this is
    a LOT of inodes.
    Where/what is the NFS hosted on?

  4. Re: ls * not working

    Disco Octopus schrieb:

    > # mount
    > node mounted mounted over vfs date
    > options
    > -------- --------------- --------------- ------ ------------
    > ---------------
    > kognwap12 /VOL1/SBDUXLH6 /apps/mlsbeta/import nfs3 Nov 14 15:48
    > rw,bg,soft,intr,grpid,retry=5,vers=3

    I didn't follow this thread (I'm not sure which ls is working,
    only know ls using wildcards has trouble).
    NFSV3 has a readdirplus (and the normal readdir). You may ckeck
    the AIX docu for nfs_v3_server_readdirplus (nfso command to change
    the setting to disable nfs_v3_server_readdirplus).
    nfsstat -c may have some useful data.
    Then you may use iptrace to see if the readdir/readdirpuls gets
    to the server and if the server returns some data. But here I'm
    not able to provide you more details. On NFS/TCPIP I know just
    enough to use it, sorry.

    Thomas

  5. Re: ls * not working

    Ok, sorry .. the device is nfs and there are a few dozen files per
    dir .. thats ok then .. right .. next step ..where are u nfs mounting
    from ? go to that system and see if the problem exists locally there
    on the exported filesystem to rule that out (local disk / h/w / perms
    issue) .. if there is no problem there, then try mounting that nfs
    filesystem on another host and see if you get the same issue (nfs
    server issue) .. if all still ok, then look at any changes made /
    patches / errors in the errpt on the system where the problem exists
    because it worked and now it doesnt.

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

  6. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 15, 8:01 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 8:54 pm, jp wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 14, 1:00 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:

    > > > Actually, echo * returns...
    > > > *
    > > > ... like this....

    > > > # set -o xtrace
    > > > # echo *
    > > > + echo *
    > > > *

    > > What happens if you do:
    > > ls -leai "\*"

    > > You might have a file that is named "*???" that you do not have access
    > > to it ?!

    > Thanks JP,
    >
    > This ls command gives me the same result... "ls: 0653-341 The file \*
    > does not exist."
    >
    > There is definitely no irregularly named file in the directory, as
    > this problem occurs everywhere within the structure of this mounted
    > device
    >
    > After some playing, it is apparent that when wildcards are used on
    > that mounted device, no wildcards are being expanded. However, it is
    > working correectly on parent directories that are not this mounted
    > device.
    >
    > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    I've had a similar situration (probably not exactly the same).

    please let us know the following results:

    #ls -ld /
    #unmount /
    #ls -ld /
    the permissions here (mounting point) could be a bit different from
    the file system once mounted.
    Make sure you can
    # cd
    # cd /
    #mount

  7. Re: ls * not working

    Disco Octopus wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > devices.
    >
    > 'ls' by itself works fine.
    >
    > .... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.
    >
    > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi all,

    Thanks all for your interest and help in finding what was causing our
    problems. As I mentioned, I am not the administrator, just a lowly dev
    guy on the end of this problem. ... Our unix admin guys had taken this
    problem to IBM, and over the last couple of days they seem to have
    identified a bug in ksh for 8.2

    So... thanks again for all your input.

    --
    Disco Octopus
    www.choicebeefjerky.com.au

  8. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 13, 11:26 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 8:57 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > > devices.

    > > 'ls' by itself works fine.

    > > ... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.

    > > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.

    > > Thanks

    > Upon further playing, it appears that it is not in fact the 'ls'
    > command. When I do 'cat *' it also doe not work. So, there is
    > something wrong with the '*' (asterisk)?
    > How can this be? And... it appears that the '?' (question mark) is
    > also displaying the same problems. Simply not working.
    >
    > So... given that the file 'abc.csv' absolutely exists, when I simply
    > 'ls' I can see the file. When I 'ls abc.csv' I also see the file.
    > When I 'ls ab*' I see no results. When I 'ls abc.???' I see no
    > results. Also, replacing 'ls' with 'cat' I also get the same bad
    > behaviour'.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    an
    $ ls .
    simply does an file open on the directory inode
    Example from a
    $ truss -af ls .
    1097896: statx(".", 0x2FF22780, 76, 0) = 0
    1097896: open(".", O_RDONLY) = 3
    1097896: getdirent(3, 0x200030E8, 4096) = 368
    1097896: lseek(3, 0, 0) = 0

    where by an
    $ ls *
    the * (star ) gets expanded by the current shell.
    To disable this behaviour the noglob option can be set.

    So for trouble-shooting ( You must be a ksh user ! )
    1) Check that you are an ksh user
    $ echo
    $SHELL
    /usr/bin/ksh

    2) Check if the noglob option is set or not
    $ set +o
    $ set +o | grep glob

    3)
    Run the following commands on an almost empty directory which does not
    contains a file named *
    $ cd MyDir ;\
    export LANG=C ;\
    truss -af echo * ;\
    truss -af ksh -c echo \*

    Supply the output of all commands.

    hth
    Hajo

  9. Re: ls * not working

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > On Nov 13, 11:26 pm, Disco Octopus wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 8:57 am, Disco Octopus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    >>> devices.
    >>> 'ls' by itself works fine.
    >>> ... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.
    >>> I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    >>> just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    >>> guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    >>> usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.
    >>> Thanks

    >> Upon further playing, it appears that it is not in fact the 'ls'
    >> command. When I do 'cat *' it also doe not work. So, there is
    >> something wrong with the '*' (asterisk)?
    >> How can this be? And... it appears that the '?' (question mark) is
    >> also displaying the same problems. Simply not working.
    >>
    >> So... given that the file 'abc.csv' absolutely exists, when I simply
    >> 'ls' I can see the file. When I 'ls abc.csv' I also see the file.
    >> When I 'ls ab*' I see no results. When I 'ls abc.???' I see no
    >> results. Also, replacing 'ls' with 'cat' I also get the same bad
    >> behaviour'.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > an
    > $ ls .
    > simply does an file open on the directory inode
    > Example from a
    > $ truss -af ls .
    > 1097896: statx(".", 0x2FF22780, 76, 0) = 0
    > 1097896: open(".", O_RDONLY) = 3
    > 1097896: getdirent(3, 0x200030E8, 4096) = 368
    > 1097896: lseek(3, 0, 0) = 0
    >
    > where by an
    > $ ls *
    > the * (star ) gets expanded by the current shell.
    > To disable this behaviour the noglob option can be set.
    >
    > So for trouble-shooting ( You must be a ksh user ! )
    > 1) Check that you are an ksh user
    > $ echo
    > $SHELL
    > /usr/bin/ksh
    >
    > 2) Check if the noglob option is set or not
    > $ set +o
    > $ set +o | grep glob
    >
    > 3)
    > Run the following commands on an almost empty directory which does not
    > contains a file named *
    > $ cd MyDir ;\
    > export LANG=C ;\
    > truss -af echo * ;\
    > truss -af ksh -c echo \*
    >
    > Supply the output of all commands.
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Hi Hajo,

    It was found that the ksh for 8.2 has a bug. I think it is specifically
    in regards with NFS devices.

    Although not resolved for us, at least we know what the problem is.

    Thanks

    --
    Disco Octopus
    www.choicebeefjerky.com.au

  10. Re: ls * not working

    Disco Octopus wrote:

    > Disco Octopus wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > > devices.
    > >
    > > 'ls' by itself works fine.
    > >
    > > .... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.
    > >
    > > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Thanks all for your interest and help in finding what was causing our
    > problems. As I mentioned, I am not the administrator, just a lowly dev
    > guy on the end of this problem. ... Our unix admin guys had taken this
    > problem to IBM, and over the last couple of days they seem to have
    > identified a bug in ksh for 8.2

    "8.2" ??? I though AIX was only out to V6.x ...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  11. Re: ls * not working

    On Nov 18, 6:18 am, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Disco Octopus wrote:
    >
    > > Disco Octopus wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > On my AIX I am unable to show listings with 'ls' on particular mounted
    > > > devices.

    > > > 'ls' by itself works fine.

    > > > .... however, 'ls *' does not find any files.

    > > > I am not the administrator of this server or the mounted devices. I am
    > > > just the lowly developer who uses this resource, however, our admin
    > > > guys have not found the problem, so I thought I might ask my friendly
    > > > usenet group to see if you have any ideas on this.

    > > > Thanks

    > > Hi all,

    > > Thanks all for your interest and help in finding what was causing our
    > > problems. As I mentioned, I am not the administrator, just a lowly dev
    > > guy on the end of this problem. ... Our unix admin guys had taken this
    > > problem to IBM, and over the last couple of days they seem to have
    > > identified a bug in ksh for 8.2

    > "8.2" ??? I though AIX was only out to V6.x ...
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Pagehttp://www.djesys.com/vms/market/