Where to get AIX 5.3? - Aix

This is a discussion on Where to get AIX 5.3? - Aix ; Hi all, I'm new to AIX, although I have some experience with other Unix variants. I have a 7044-170 machine and I'd like to install AIX 5.3. However, I can't seem to find anywhere to download or buy AIX 5.3 ...

  1. Where to get AIX 5.3?

    Hi all,

    I'm new to AIX, although I have some experience with other Unix
    variants. I have a 7044-170 machine and I'd like to install AIX 5.3.
    However, I can't seem to find anywhere to download or buy AIX 5.3
    from. I'm thinking that it must be really obvious, but I'm sure I'm
    missing it.

    Please help.

    Thanks,
    Karim

  2. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    karembu@gmail.com pisze:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new to AIX, although I have some experience with other Unix
    > variants. I have a 7044-170 machine and I'd like to install AIX 5.3.
    > However, I can't seem to find anywhere to download or buy AIX 5.3
    > from. I'm thinking that it must be really obvious, but I'm sure I'm
    > missing it.

    YOu have to buy it from IBM. This is proprietary software and it can't
    be downloaded.

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

  3. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    AIX is commercial. You have to buy it from IBM.
    Alternatively, you may obtain the media (not the license !)
    on eBay, it is on auction there occasionally.
    You can install it (without license keys),
    but it doesn't come with compilers etc.
    License comes formally with the machine, but only for the OS version
    sold with the hardware, AFAIK (would be nice to hear some more
    definite statement on this one from someone who really has a clue)

  4. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:39:01 +0100, Filip Kata wrote:

    > karembu@gmail.com pisze:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > YOu have to buy it from IBM. This is proprietary software and it can't be
    > downloaded.

    Well... If you have the right kind of support contract, you can download
    AIX from IBM's web site. But, it's far from free... As an alternative,
    you might be able to join the open beta-test program for AIX 6... I think
    that's still available for free download, but I don't know the conditions
    to join the test group...

    -Chris

  5. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    Christopher Petersen wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:39:01 +0100, Filip Kata wrote:
    >
    >> karembu@gmail.com pisze:
    >>> [quoted text muted]

    >> YOu have to buy it from IBM. This is proprietary software and it can't be
    >> downloaded.

    > Well... If you have the right kind of support contract, you can download
    > AIX from IBM's web site. But, it's far from free... As an alternative,
    > you might be able to join the open beta-test program for AIX 6... I think
    > that's still available for free download, but I don't know the conditions
    > to join the test group...
    >
    > -Chris

    I believe his Power3 based machine won't run AIX 6. I could be wrong.

  6. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    On Oct 31, 5:52 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:
    > Christopher Petersen wrote:

    > >> YOu have to buy it from IBM. This is proprietary software and it can't be
    > >> downloaded.

    > > Well... If you have the right kind of support contract, you can download
    > > AIX from IBM's web site. But, it's far from free... As an alternative,
    > > you might be able to join the open beta-test program for AIX 6... I think
    > > that's still available for free download, but I don't know the conditions
    > > to join the test group...

    > > -Chris

    > I believe his Power3 based machine won't run AIX 6. I could be wrong.

    You will also need a firmware upgrade!

  7. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    karembu@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm new to AIX, although I have some experience with other Unix
    > variants. I have a 7044-170 machine and I'd like to install AIX 5.3.
    > However, I can't seem to find anywhere to download or buy AIX 5.3
    > from. I'm thinking that it must be really obvious, but I'm sure I'm
    > missing it.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Karim

    1-888-SHOP-IBM or if your are not in the US:
    go to www.ibm.com, and on the top right part
    of that page select your country. Once you
    get to your country IBM page, use 'Contact'

  8. Re: Where to get AIX 5.3?

    rsnyderP@gmail.com schrieb:
    > On Oct 31, 5:52 pm, 0xdeadabe wrote:

    >> I believe his Power3 based machine won't run AIX 6. I could be wrong.

    > You will also need a firmware upgrade!

    Participants can install the open beta version of AIX 6 on IBM systems
    that run on the POWER6™, POWER5™, POWER4™ or PPC970 processors including
    the IBM System p™, IBM System p5™, IBM eServer™ p5, IBM eServer pSeries®
    server product lines, as well as IBM BladeCenter® JS21 blades and
    IntelliStation® POWER™ workstations.

+ Reply to Thread