rexec in a SSH tunnel - Aix

This is a discussion on rexec in a SSH tunnel - Aix ; Hi all, I would like to use rexec in a SSH tunnel to contact a rexecd remote server. Rexec client doesn't support port specification (even in netrc file format), so here is how i build my tunnel : Client Side ...

  1. rexec in a SSH tunnel

    Hi all,

    I would like to use rexec in a SSH tunnel to contact a rexecd remote
    server.

    Rexec client doesn't support port specification (even in netrc file
    format), so here is how i build my tunnel :

    Client Side :

    ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver

    The 512 local port is listened on the client, every request from the
    rexec client will be send to the local port, ssh send request trough
    the tunnel and the remote rexecd daemon will be requested by a local
    connection.

    But it doesn't work...

    I did another test with telnet which works...

    ssh -2 -N -f -L 23:localhost:23 user@remoteserver

    telnet localhost

    I must secure rexec connection, i cannot do whithout rexec, because
    there are old applications which run on aix servers...

    Does someone have already secure rexec connection ?

    Thanks in advance

    Laurent

  2. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On Oct 31, 5:40 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to use rexec in a SSH tunnel to contact a rexecd remote
    > server.
    >
    > Rexec client doesn't support port specification (even in netrc file
    > format), so here is how i build my tunnel :
    >
    > Client Side :
    >
    > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver
    >
    > The 512 local port is listened on the client, every request from the
    > rexec client will be send to the local port, ssh send request trough
    > the tunnel and the remote rexecd daemon will be requested by a local
    > connection.
    >
    > But it doesn't work...
    >
    > I did another test with telnet which works...
    >
    > ssh -2 -N -f -L 23:localhost:23 user@remoteserver
    >
    > telnet localhost
    >
    > I must secure rexec connection, i cannot do whithout rexec, because
    > there are old applications which run on aix servers...
    >
    > Does someone have already secure rexec connection ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Laurent

    Help me out here but what you're trying to do doesn't make
    much sense to me. If you already have an ssh tunnel between
    servers what do you need rexec for? You must know that
    rexec is, by definition, not secure. Where is the rexecd in
    this configuration running? If you really can't go all the way
    with ssh then why bother with it at all? You might as well
    be hanged for a sheep as a lamb after all.

    FWIW

    Jim Lane

  3. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On 31 oct, 12:42, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 5:40 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > > I would like to use rexec in a SSH tunnel to contact a rexecd remote
    > > server.

    > > Rexec client doesn't support port specification (even in netrc file
    > > format), so here is how i build my tunnel :

    > > Client Side :

    > > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver

    > > The 512 local port is listened on the client, every request from the
    > > rexec client will be send to the local port, ssh send request trough
    > > the tunnel and the remote rexecd daemon will be requested by a local
    > > connection.

    > > But it doesn't work...

    > > I did another test with telnet which works...

    > > ssh -2 -N -f -L 23:localhost:23 user@remoteserver

    > > telnet localhost

    > > I must secure rexec connection, i cannot do whithout rexec, because
    > > there are old applications which run on aix servers...

    > > Does someone have already secure rexec connection ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > > Laurent

    > Help me out here but what you're trying to do doesn't make
    > much sense to me. If you already have an ssh tunnel between
    > servers what do you need rexec for? You must know that
    > rexec is, by definition, not secure. Where is the rexecd in
    > this configuration running? If you really can't go all the way
    > with ssh then why bother with it at all? You might as well
    > be hanged for a sheep as a lamb after all.
    >
    > FWIW
    >
    > Jim Lane

    Hi,

    I know that rexec is not secure :-)

    There is old application/script which run on aix servers, and these
    application are maintened by an editor who doesn't want to change
    anything (and he doesn't have any budget for that).

    So, i must keep rexec working....

    Today, rexec contact a local rexecd daemon, but in a few weeks, the
    client will be deported on a separate server so i have to tunneling
    rexec connection....

    It is very simple to tunneling smpt, telnet connection, but i don't
    understand why tunneling rexec doesn't work...

  4. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On Oct 31, 9:46 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On 31 oct, 12:42, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 31, 5:40 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi all,

    > > > I would like to use rexec in a SSH tunnel to contact a rexecd remote
    > > > server.

    > > > Rexec client doesn't support port specification (even in netrc file
    > > > format), so here is how i build my tunnel :

    > > > Client Side :

    > > > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver

    > > > The 512 local port is listened on the client, every request from the
    > > > rexec client will be send to the local port, ssh send request trough
    > > > the tunnel and the remote rexecd daemon will be requested by a local
    > > > connection.

    > > > But it doesn't work...

    > > > I did another test with telnet which works...

    > > > ssh -2 -N -f -L 23:localhost:23 user@remoteserver

    > > > telnet localhost

    > > > I must secure rexec connection, i cannot do whithout rexec, because
    > > > there are old applications which run on aix servers...

    > > > Does someone have already secure rexec connection ?

    > > > Thanks in advance

    > > > Laurent

    > > Help me out here but what you're trying to do doesn't make
    > > much sense to me. If you already have an ssh tunnel between
    > > servers what do you need rexec for? You must know that
    > > rexec is, by definition, not secure. Where is the rexecd in
    > > this configuration running? If you really can't go all the way
    > > with ssh then why bother with it at all? You might as well
    > > be hanged for a sheep as a lamb after all.

    > > FWIW

    > > Jim Lane

    > Hi,
    >
    > I know that rexec is not secure :-)
    >
    > There is old application/script which run on aix servers, and these
    > application are maintened by an editor who doesn't want to change
    > anything (and he doesn't have any budget for that).
    >
    > So, i must keep rexec working....
    >
    > Today, rexec contact a local rexecd daemon, but in a few weeks, the
    > client will be deported on a separate server so i have to tunneling
    > rexec connection....
    >
    > It is very simple to tunneling smpt, telnet connection, but i don't
    > understand why tunneling rexec doesn't work...

    OK. I think your problem might be with the port numbers you're
    using. If you use a port number on localhost that isn't in use
    this should work. I don't use rexec but try something like this:

    # ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:22 jlane@remote
    jlane@remote's password:
    root@localhost /
    # nc localhost 9998
    SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    # nc remote 22
    SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    root@cbbceua-cbbapp1 /

    HTH

    Jim Lane

  5. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On 31 oct, 15:51, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 9:46 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On 31 oct, 12:42, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:

    > > > Help me out here but what you're trying to do doesn't make
    > > > much sense to me. If you already have an ssh tunnel between
    > > > servers what do you need rexec for? You must know that
    > > > rexec is, by definition, not secure. Where is the rexecd in
    > > > this configuration running? If you really can't go all the way
    > > > with ssh then why bother with it at all? You might as well
    > > > be hanged for a sheep as a lamb after all.

    > > > FWIW

    > > > Jim Lane

    > > Hi,

    > > I know that rexec is not secure :-)

    > > There is old application/script which run on aix servers, and these
    > > application are maintened by an editor who doesn't want to change
    > > anything (and he doesn't have any budget for that).

    > > So, i must keep rexec working....

    > > Today, rexec contact a local rexecd daemon, but in a few weeks, the
    > > client will be deported on a separate server so i have to tunneling
    > > rexec connection....

    > > It is very simple to tunneling smpt, telnet connection, but i don't
    > > understand why tunneling rexec doesn't work...

    > OK. I think your problem might be with the port numbers you're
    > using. If you use a port number on localhost that isn't in use
    > this should work. I don't use rexec but try something like this:
    >
    > # ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:22 jlane@remote
    > jlane@remote's password:
    > root@localhost /
    > # nc localhost 9998
    > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > # nc remote 22
    > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > root@cbbceua-cbbapp1 /
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim Lane

    Thanks for your answer but :

    rexec client doesn't support port specification on aix.
    In other words, i can't launch rexec client like that "rexec localhost:
    9998", and i don't find any other syntax to solve this problem.

    So, when i build my tunnel i must use the 512 localport...(yes, this
    port is not listened by another process...) and i do this operation
    as root (port < 1024)

    And, as I said, i typed this :

    ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver

    rexec client prompts me for a user/password and i don't get any
    respond from the server....

    If i build a same tunnel on port 23 (telnet), it works ! Strange,
    isn't it ?

    I'm looking right now at this page :

    http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...xec%20protocol

    Thanks anyways

  6. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On 31 oct, 16:10, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On 31 oct, 15:51, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 31, 9:46 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

    > > wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I know that rexec is not secure :-)

    > > > There is old application/script which run on aix servers, and these
    > > > application are maintened by an editor who doesn't want to change
    > > > anything (and he doesn't have any budget for that).

    > > > So, i must keep rexec working....

    > > > Today, rexec contact a local rexecd daemon, but in a few weeks, the
    > > > client will be deported on a separate server so i have to tunneling
    > > > rexec connection....

    > > > It is very simple to tunneling smpt, telnet connection, but i don't
    > > > understand why tunneling rexec doesn't work...

    > > OK. I think your problem might be with the port numbers you're
    > > using. If you use a port number on localhost that isn't in use
    > > this should work. I don't use rexec but try something like this:

    > > # ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:22 jlane@remote
    > > jlane@remote's password:
    > > root@localhost /
    > > # nc localhost 9998
    > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > # nc remote 22
    > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > root@cbbceua-cbbapp1 /

    > > HTH

    > > Jim Lane

    > Thanks for your answer but :
    >
    > rexec client doesn't support port specification on aix.
    > In other words, i can't launch rexec client like that "rexec localhost:
    > 9998", and i don't find any other syntax to solve this problem.
    >
    > So, when i build my tunnel i must use the 512 localport...(yes, this
    > port is not listened by another process...) and i do this operation
    > as root (port < 1024)
    >
    > And, as I said, i typed this :
    >
    > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver
    >
    > rexec client prompts me for a user/password and i don't get any
    > respond from the server....
    >
    > If i build a same tunnel on port 23 (telnet), it works ! Strange,
    > isn't it ?
    >
    > I'm looking right now at this page :
    >
    > http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...0the%20rexec%2...
    >
    > Thanks anyways

    I respond to myself :-)

    I think i have found where is my problem.

    If i understand correctly this page :

    http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...xec%20protocol.

    rexec service listen port 512 (TCP), but once client and server have
    finished negociation, data are sent through another port which is
    dynamic....

    Damn !

  7. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On Oct 31, 12:14 pm, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On 31 oct, 16:10, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On 31 oct, 15:51, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:

    > > > OK. I think your problem might be with the port numbers you're
    > > > using. If you use a port number on localhost that isn't in use
    > > > this should work. I don't use rexec but try something like this:

    > > > # ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:22 jlane@remote
    > > > jlane@remote's password:
    > > > root@localhost /
    > > > # nc localhost 9998
    > > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > > # nc remote 22
    > > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > > root@cbbceua-cbbapp1 /

    > > > HTH

    > > > Jim Lane

    > > Thanks for your answer but :

    > > rexec client doesn't support port specification on aix.
    > > In other words, i can't launch rexec client like that "rexec localhost:
    > > 9998", and i don't find any other syntax to solve this problem.

    > > So, when i build my tunnel i must use the 512 localport...(yes, this
    > > port is not listened by another process...) and i do this operation
    > > as root (port < 1024)

    > > And, as I said, i typed this :

    > > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver

    > > rexec client prompts me for a user/password and i don't get any
    > > respond from the server....

    > > If i build a same tunnel on port 23 (telnet), it works ! Strange,
    > > isn't it ?

    > > I'm looking right now at this page :

    > >http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...0the%20rexec%2...

    > > Thanks anyways

    > I respond to myself :-)
    >
    > I think i have found where is my problem.
    >
    > If i understand correctly this page :
    >
    > http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...0the%20rexec%2....
    >
    > rexec service listen port 512 (TCP), but once client and server have
    > finished negociation, data are sent through another port which is
    > dynamic....
    >
    > Damn !

    it appears to be something to do with how rexec handles stderr and
    stdout. the following does work:

    1. set up tunnel as you specify above.
    2. rexec -a localhost command

  8. Re: rexec in a SSH tunnel

    On Oct 31, 11:10 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On 31 oct, 15:51, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 31, 9:46 am, "laurent.ol...@gmail.com"

    > > wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I know that rexec is not secure :-)

    > > > There is old application/script which run on aix servers, and these
    > > > application are maintened by an editor who doesn't want to change
    > > > anything (and he doesn't have any budget for that).

    > > > So, i must keep rexec working....

    > > > Today, rexec contact a local rexecd daemon, but in a few weeks, the
    > > > client will be deported on a separate server so i have to tunneling
    > > > rexec connection....

    > > > It is very simple to tunneling smpt, telnet connection, but i don't
    > > > understand why tunneling rexec doesn't work...

    > > OK. I think your problem might be with the port numbers you're
    > > using. If you use a port number on localhost that isn't in use
    > > this should work. I don't use rexec but try something like this:

    > > # ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:22 jlane@remote
    > > jlane@remote's password:
    > > root@localhost /
    > > # nc localhost 9998
    > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > # nc remote 22
    > > SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    > > root@cbbceua-cbbapp1 /

    > > HTH

    > > Jim Lane

    > Thanks for your answer but :
    >
    > rexec client doesn't support port specification on aix.
    > In other words, i can't launch rexec client like that "rexec localhost:
    > 9998", and i don't find any other syntax to solve this problem.
    >
    > So, when i build my tunnel i must use the 512 localport...(yes, this
    > port is not listened by another process...) and i do this operation
    > as root (port < 1024)
    >
    > And, as I said, i typed this :
    >
    > ssh -2 -N -f -L 512:localhost:512 user@remoteserver
    >
    > rexec client prompts me for a user/password and i don't get any
    > respond from the server....
    >
    > If i build a same tunnel on port 23 (telnet), it works ! Strange,
    > isn't it ?
    >
    > I'm looking right now at this page :
    >
    > http://www.private.org.il/mini-tcpip...0the%20rexec%2...
    >
    > Thanks anyways

    You're misundertanding how the command I gave as an example works.
    If I set up the tunnel as

    ssh -2 -N -f -L 9998:localhost:512 jlane@remote

    a connection to port 9998 on localhost will be seen on the remote host
    as a connection to port 512. Isn't that what you're trying to do?

    -Jim

+ Reply to Thread