Cannot Ping Router - Aix

This is a discussion on Cannot Ping Router - Aix ; Have a 7043-43P-240,SSA7131-405 & IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter 221200020 running AIX 5200-09, host name is tweed. Set up is attatched to a P2P network along with other computers running AIX 4.2 4.3, 5.2 & 5.3 This 5200-09 machine cannot ping ...

  1. Cannot Ping Router

    Have a 7043-43P-240,SSA7131-405 & IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter 221200020 running
    AIX 5200-09, host name is tweed.
    Set up is attatched to a P2P network along with other computers running AIX
    4.2 4.3, 5.2 & 5.3
    This 5200-09 machine cannot ping the router 192.168.0.1
    Have compared its settings with the other AIX installations and cannot find
    a fault.
    Router, modem, switch & hub work OK with other computers.
    Have tested the cat 5 cable with a cable tester and it is OK.
    The 7043-43P when going lights up on the hub and its NIC light is also on.
    #ping localhost works OK.
    #ping 192.168.0.98 works OK. This is static address of 7043-43P host tweed.
    I keep a register of IP addresses and am sure none are duplicated.
    #ping 127.0.0.1 works OK.
    #netstat -i shows no * next to lo0 or en0
    shows no errors against Ierrs or Oerrs
    #lsdev -Cc shows en0 and lo0 available with et0 defined.
    ( used #rmdev -l et0 -d to delete it out )
    #arp -an shows
    ? ( 192.168.0.109 ) at ( incomplete )
    this is a HP LaserJet network printer installed on 7043-43P it cannot
    connect to through the router.
    #netstat -v shows nil collissions or errors.
    I redid #smit tcpip and on a restart still could not ping 192.168.0.1
    Also redid #configassist with similar results.
    I think I have a routing problem but cannot trace it.

    #netstat -r
    DESTINATION GATEWAY FLAGS RETS USE IF PMTU EXP GROUPS
    Rout tree for protocol family 2 (internet)
    default 192.168.0.1 UGc 0 0
    - - -
    127/8 loopback U 4 188
    - - -
    139.134.5.51 192.168.0.1 UGHW 0 16 en0 -
    -
    192.168.0/24 tweed U 3 28
    0 - - -
    tweed loopback UGHS 21 200
    - - -
    Route tree for protocol family 24(internetV6)
    ::1 ::1 UH 0 0 lo0
    16896 - -

    Tried altering cable type in smit to dix and TP but after a reboot it is

    automatically reset back to N/A
    No browser is installed on 7043-43P
    /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
    192.168.0.98 tweed
    192.168.0.109 001083A109EB #Jetdirect
    /etc/netsvc.conf
    hosts = local , bind
    /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver 139.134.5.51
    domain sy-dns03.tmns.net.au

    In smit I added another static route
    Destination Type net
    Destination Address 192.168.0.1
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    Cost 0
    Network Mask 255.255.255.0
    Network Interface eno
    Enable Active Gateway no
    Is This Local no

    This did not work either

    Have been right through the AIX TCPIP trouble shooter but do not quite know
    what to look for in the netstat printouts.
    Would appreciate some help as to why it cannot ping router.
    Thanks
    Basil

  2. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    On Oct 28, 10:59 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Have a 7043-43P-240,SSA7131-405 & IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter 221200020 running
    > AIX 5200-09, host name is tweed.
    > Set up is attatched to a P2P network along with other computers running AIX
    > 4.2 4.3, 5.2 & 5.3
    > This 5200-09 machine cannot ping the router 192.168.0.1

    Another item to check is that the speed and duplex settings on the
    43P's NIC match the network port on the hub or switch. The command
    "enstat -d en0 | grep Media" will display the NIC's selected and
    running speed and duplex settings. You should then compare these with
    the settings of the network port to which the server is attached.

  3. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    On Oct 28, 11:59 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
> [...]
    > /etc/hosts
    > 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
    > 192.168.0.98 tweed
    > 192.168.0.109 001083A109EB #Jetdirect
    > /etc/netsvc.conf
    > hosts = local , bind
    > /etc/resolv.conf
    > nameserver 139.134.5.51
    > domain sy-dns03.tmns.net.au
    >
    > In smit I added another static route
    > Destination Type net
    > Destination Address 192.168.0.1
    > Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    > Cost 0
    > Network Mask 255.255.255.0
    > Network Interface eno
    > Enable Active Gateway no
    > Is This Local no
    >
    > This did not work either
    >
    > Have been right through the AIX TCPIP trouble shooter but do not quite know
    > what to look for in the netstat printouts.
    > Would appreciate some help as to why it cannot ping router.

    Here's what I would try.

    Get on the console
    route flush
    rmdev -dl ent0
    rmdev -dl en0
    cfgmgr
    lsdev -Cc adapter
    make sure you see your ent0 adapter
    use smitty to configure your en0 adapter
    be sure to use "Minimum configuration and Startup"
    (not "Further Configuration)
    Fill in appropriate info

  4. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    dhoffman and aixdude thanks for your replies.

    dhoffman
    tried the "enstat -d en0 | grep Media" command and got a reply
    "enstat not found" It is not in man pages nor in 4 vol red pages command
    books. Hunting around web find it is applicable to NIS which is not on any
    of my AIX computers.
    Is there an alternate to your suggestion.
    Read my Dlink router settings page and all it says is
    Max idle time 0 seconds
    Baud Rate 57600 bps
    Poking around AIX
    #chdev -l ent0 gives
    Hardware Transmit queue size 64
    Hardware Receive queue size 32
    Full Duplex yes
    #smit en0 gives
    Max IP Packet Size 1500

    aixdude
    Starting with your instructions
    #route flush gives
    default 192.168.0.1 done
    138.134.5.51 192.168.0.1 done
    tweed loopback done
    #rmdev -dl ent0 gives
    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/ucfgcommo)
    0514-062 Cannot perform the requested function because the specified
    device is busy.
    The Message Centre book says this is
    cfmgr 0514-062 error recovery information
    #shutdown -Fr
    tried #rmdev -dl ent0 again and still get same error message
    #diag -a returned nothing
    pulled the cat5 cable out of NIC
    #shutdown -Fr
    tried again with #rmdev -dl ent0 and still get same error message
    Ran the F6 HDD diagnostics on ent0 and got sysplanar0 and ento both okay.
    On this page
    http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Re...gure_commo.htm
    found this
    Resolving Adapter-Removal Problems
    If the following type of message displays when the rmdev command is to
    unconfigure an adapter, this indicates that the device is open, possibly
    because applications are still trying to access the adapter you are trying
    to remove or replace.

    #rmdev -l ent0
    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/ucfgent):
    0514-062
    Cannot perform the requested function because the
    specified device is busy.
    To resolve the problem, you must identify any applications that are still
    using the adapter and close them. These applications can include the
    following:

    a.. TCP/IP
    b.. SNA
    c.. OSI
    d.. IPX/SPX
    e.. Novell NetWare
    f.. Streams
    g.. The generic data link control (GDLC)
    a.. IEEE Ethernet DLC
    b.. Token-ring DLC
    c.. FDDI DLC

    or would it be easier to close down and just to physically pull the NIC out
    and on start up, run #diag -a and delete it.
    Close down and put the NIC back in and run #diag -a accept nic then continue
    on with your instructions ie
    #rmdev -dl en0
    cfgmgr
    lsdev -Cc adapter to see ent0 there
    #smit inet and use en0 to "add a standard ehternet network interface"
    #smit tcpip and use minimum configuration
    check hosts file, netsvc.conf file and resolv.conf are all okay
    reboot
    try to ping 192.168.0.1

    Thanks guys
    Basil

  5. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    On Oct 30, 12:11 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
> [...]
    > b.. SNA
    > c.. OSI
    > d.. IPX/SPX
    > e.. Novell NetWare
    > f.. Streams
    > g.. The generic data link control (GDLC)
    > a.. IEEE Ethernet DLC
    > b.. Token-ring DLC
    > c.. FDDI DLC
    >
    > or would it be easier to close down and just to physically pull the NIC out
    > and on start up, run #diag -a and delete it.
    > Close down and put the NIC back in and run #diag -a accept nic then continue
    > on with your instructions ie
    > #rmdev -dl en0
    > cfgmgr
    > lsdev -Cc adapter to see ent0 there
    > #smit inet and use en0 to "add a standard ehternet network interface"
    > #smit tcpip and use minimum configuration
    > check hosts file, netsvc.conf file and resolv.conf are all okay

    For the record it's entstat, not enstat.

  6. Re: Cannot Ping Router

> [...]
    > b.. SNA
    > c.. OSI
    > d.. IPX/SPX
    > e.. Novell NetWare
    > f.. Streams
    > g.. The generic data link control (GDLC)
    > a.. IEEE Ethernet DLC
    > b.. Token-ring DLC
    > c.. FDDI DLC
    >
    > or would it be easier to close down and just to physically pull the NIC out
    > and on start up, run #diag -a and delete it.
    > Close down and put the NIC back in and run #diag -a accept nic then continue
    > on with your instructions ie
    > #rmdev -dl en0
    > cfgmgr
    > lsdev -Cc adapter to see ent0 there
    > #smit inet and use en0 to "add a standard ehternet network interface"
    > #smit tcpip and use minimum configuration
    > check hosts file, netsvc.conf file and resolv.conf are all okay

    Please post results for:

    lsdev -Cc adapter
    ifconfig -a
    netstat -in
    netstat -rn
    netstat -v

    Sorry for the finger flick in my last post.
    removes should have been

    rmdev -dl en0
    rmdev -dl et0 (not ent0)

  7. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    Jim and aixdude thanks for replies

    Jim
    #entstat -d ent0 certainly works but does not bring up the settings dhoffman
    was talking about. What comes up on screen is very different from what comes
    up using #man entstat, which says the settings should be shown.

    aixdude
    using your revised list, #route flush and both #redev's went well but
    #cfgmgr displayed
    0514-621 Warning: The following device packages are required for device
    support but are not currently installed.
    devices.pci.b7105090
    but #cfgmgr finished back at # prompt.
    #lsdev -Cc adapter showed up ent0 as being there.
    Had to leave computer for 20 mins and when I came back it would not wake up,
    so hit reset and got that dreaded DT message. Went into fail safe mode and
    could not do next step, #smit inet, no device available.
    Did #smit tcpip min config, rebooted and got back to CDE okay.
    devices.pci.b7105090 was not on any of my AIX 5.1 cd's, so went on the
    Google hunt and turned this up.
    (I have a 3Com 3C905-TX adapter installed )
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/netw...ter_csaix.html
    and found this further article
    http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li...4-02/0029.html
    "cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
    device support but are not currently installed.
    devices.pci.b7105090
    How to get it? I have the install CDs, if it is there.
    From the /usr/lpp/bos/README for AIX 5.1 2b.x) Removal of Support for
    Devices
    The following devices are not supported on AIX 5L for POWER Version 5.1
    with the 5100-04 Recommended Maintenance package (APAR IY39794):
    * PCI FDDI I/O (FC 2741, FC 2742, and FC 2743) is not supported on AIX
    5.1 with 5100-04 or later.
    * devices.pci.b7105090
    The Ethernet adapter that is supported by the devices.pci.b7105090
    fileset in AIX versions prior to AIX 5L Version 5.1 is not supported
    in AIX 5L Version 5.1.
    After a migration to AIX 5L Version 5.1, or when AIX 5L Version 5.1
    is installed and this Ethernet adapter is in the machine, the
    following messages may display on the console or be written to log files:
    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgv3boom -l ent1 ):
    0514-068 Cause not known.
    cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are
    required for device support but are not currently installed.
    devices.pci.b7105090 Not found on the installation media.
    Remove the unsupported Ethernet adapter from the machine. This
    adapter will not be configured by AIX 5L Version 5.1. "

    So I suppose I have to find another suitable NIC adapter.
    Do you agree ?
    Could not find any list on IBM re NIC/s for a 7043-43P-240.
    Can you suggest any model NIC's AIX 5100-09 compatible ?

    You asked
    "Please post results for: lsdev -Cc adapter, ifconfig -a, netstat -in,
    netstat -rn, netstat -v "
    Did not do this due to apparent NIC problem.
    Only way I can do this at the moment due to 7043 not on network is to hand
    copy it off the screen and retype it into XP to post here. Recent stroke
    makes long types difficult.

    Regards
    Basil

  8. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    On Oct 30, 8:46 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
> [...]
    > cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are
    > required for device support but are not currently installed.
    > devices.pci.b7105090 Not found on the installation media.
    > Remove the unsupported Ethernet adapter from the machine. This
    > adapter will not be configured by AIX 5L Version 5.1. "
    >
    > So I suppose I have to find another suitable NIC adapter.
    > Do you agree ?
    > Could not find any list on IBM re NIC/s for a 7043-43P-240.
    > Can you suggest any model NIC's AIX 5100-09 compatible ?
    >
    > You asked
    > "Please post results for: lsdev -Cc adapter, ifconfig -a, netstat -in,
    > netstat -rn, netstat -v "
    > Did not do this due to apparent NIC problem.
    > Only way I can do this at the moment due to 7043 not on network is to hand
    > copy it off the screen and retype it into XP to post here. Recent stroke

    entstat seems to work fine on one of my systems:

    jlane@ /home/jlane $ entstat -d en1 | grep Media
    Media Speed Selected: Auto negotiation
    Media Speed Running: 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

    What does that do for you?

  9. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    >> Basil

    > entstat seems to work fine on one of my systems:
    > jlane@ /home/jlane $ entstat -d en1 | grep Media
    > Media Speed Selected: Auto negotiation
    > Media Speed Running: 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
    > What does that do for you?

    Jim
    Running "#entstat -d en0 | grep Media" on the 7044 brings up similar
    results to yours except media speed is 100 Mbps.
    Same command on 7043 just brings up a return to # prompt.
    Presume this is because running AIX 5200-09 on 7043 my NIC is not supported
    ie no drivers installed.
    Thanks for your help.
    Basil

  10. Re: Cannot Ping Router

    > Running "#entstat -d en0 | grep Media" on the 7044 brings up similar
    > results to yours except media speed is 100 Mbps.
    > Same command on 7043 just brings up a return to # prompt.
    > Presume this is because running AIX 5200-09 on 7043 my NIC is not
    > supported ie no drivers installed.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Basil

    Sorry correction, running AIX 5100-09.