Does NIM pay for small deployments? - Aix

This is a discussion on Does NIM pay for small deployments? - Aix ; I'm setting up a small AIX shop: 1 p520, 1 p510, no HMC, 2 production micropartitioned LPARs + 1 or more testing or other non-production LPARS on the p520. The p510 is production and not partitioned. I'm wondering if it ...

  1. Does NIM pay for small deployments?

    I'm setting up a small AIX shop: 1 p520, 1 p510, no HMC, 2 production
    micropartitioned LPARs + 1 or more testing or other non-production
    LPARS on the p520. The p510 is production and not partitioned.

    I'm wondering if it I'd be ahead to dedicate an LPAR as a NIM master
    server on the p520, and then use NIM to install all the other AIX
    instances. The production LPARs and the p510 would need to be
    standalone, neither diskless nor dataless.

    I've been a Tru64 Unix sysadmin for years, but am new to AIX. I've
    never used any network-based installation system. Is it worth time to
    learn and setup NIM? Or is it too much hassle for such a small
    configuration?

  2. Re: Does NIM pay for small deployments?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:48:39 +0000, phr wrote:

    > I'm setting up a small AIX shop: 1 p520, 1 p510, no HMC, 2 production
    > micropartitioned LPARs + 1 or more testing or other non-production LPARS
    > on the p520. The p510 is production and not partitioned.
    >
    > I'm wondering if it I'd be ahead to dedicate an LPAR as a NIM master
    > server on the p520, and then use NIM to install all the other AIX
    > instances. The production LPARs and the p510 would need to be standalone,
    > neither diskless nor dataless.
    >
    > I've been a Tru64 Unix sysadmin for years, but am new to AIX. I've never
    > used any network-based installation system. Is it worth time to learn and
    > setup NIM? Or is it too much hassle for such a small configuration?

    It sounds like you're in a situation that I haven't dealt with before, but
    I would still say to set up a NIM server. NIM is pretty light weight when
    you're not actively using it for something, so there may be no need to put
    it on a dedicated partition... Essentially, it's just one more daemon
    process and a little bit of disk space (outside the installation materials
    you're deploying)...

    A NIM server is good for so much more than just installing the initial O/S
    image. You can use it to apply patches, install just about anything that
    comes in an AIX or RPM format package, automate the creation of O/S backup
    images, and a whole lot more. It's also helpful when you want to create
    O/S installs that are identical or apply the same change to two or more
    clients...

    I may be mis-remembering, but I think you're going to be forced into using
    the Integrated Virtualization Manager to manage LPARs on your boxes
    without an HMC. I think that implies a single Virtual I/O Server partition
    per chassis and a limited level of redundancy and fault resilience... If
    this is truly a production environment, I hope you'll have multi-pathed
    disk of some kind and a good backup solution in place... I've had
    exceptionally good luck with virtual I/O server technology, but there are
    limitations when you're not in a redundant configuration...

    Good luck!

    -Chris

  3. Re: Does NIM pay for small deployments?

    On Oct 28, 12:30 pm, Christopher Petersen software.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:48:39 +0000, phr wrote:
    > > I'm setting up a small AIX shop: 1 p520, 1 p510, no HMC, 2 production
    > > micropartitioned LPARs + 1 or more testing or other non-production LPARS
    > > on the p520. The p510 is production and not partitioned.

    > > I'm wondering if it I'd be ahead to dedicate an LPAR as a NIM master
    > > server on the p520, and then use NIM to install all the other AIX
    > > instances. The production LPARs and the p510 would need to be standalone,
    > > neither diskless nor dataless.

    > > I've been a Tru64 Unix sysadmin for years, but am new to AIX. I've never
    > > used any network-based installation system. Is it worth time to learn and
    > > setup NIM? Or is it too much hassle for such a small configuration?

    > It sounds like you're in a situation that I haven't dealt with before, but
    > I would still say to set up a NIM server. NIM is pretty light weight when
    > you're not actively using it for something, so there may be no need to put
    > it on a dedicated partition... Essentially, it's just one more daemon
    > process and a little bit of disk space (outside the installation materials
    > you're deploying)...
    >
    > A NIM server is good for so much more than just installing the initial O/S
    > image. You can use it to apply patches, install just about anything that
    > comes in an AIX or RPM format package, automate the creation of O/S backup
    > images, and a whole lot more. It's also helpful when you want to create
    > O/S installs that are identical or apply the same change to two or more
    > clients...
    >
    > I may be mis-remembering, but I think you're going to be forced into using
    > the Integrated Virtualization Manager to manage LPARs on your boxes
    > without an HMC. I think that implies a single Virtual I/O Server partition
    > per chassis and a limited level of redundancy and fault resilience... If
    > this is truly a production environment, I hope you'll have multi-pathed
    > disk of some kind and a good backup solution in place... I've had
    > exceptionally good luck with virtual I/O server technology, but there are
    > limitations when you're not in a redundant configuration...
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > -Chris

    Thanks, Chris. Those other benefits of NIS were what I was hoping
    for. As for production/non-production with Virtual I/O Server, well,
    the best "production" setup we can afford may not qualify as more than
    a rough and ready test setup in your shop, but we'll do the best we
    can with what we have. If we raised our tuition 10% and told the
    students it was for 5 9's of uptime on our student records system, I
    don't think they'd agree it was such a great deal. We'll be careful
    about backups, of course.

  4. Re: Does NIM pay for small deployments?

    On Oct 28, 8:53 pm, phr wrote:
    > On Oct 28, 12:30 pm, Christopher Petersen >
    >

    > software.com> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:48:39 +0000, phr wrote:
    > > > I'm setting up a small AIX shop: 1 p520, 1 p510, no HMC, 2 production
    > > > micropartitioned LPARs + 1 or more testing or other non-production LPARS
    > > > on the p520. The p510 is production and not partitioned.

    > > > I'm wondering if it I'd be ahead to dedicate an LPAR as a NIM master
    > > > server on the p520, and then use NIM to install all the other AIX
    > > > instances. The production LPARs and the p510 would need to be standalone,
    > > > neither diskless nor dataless.

    > > > I've been a Tru64 Unix sysadmin for years, but am new to AIX. I've never
    > > > used any network-based installation system. Is it worth time to learn and
    > > > setup NIM? Or is it too much hassle for such a small configuration?

    > > It sounds like you're in a situation that I haven't dealt with before, but
    > > I would still say to set up a NIM server. NIM is pretty light weight when
    > > you're not actively using it for something, so there may be no need to put
    > > it on a dedicated partition... Essentially, it's just one more daemon
    > > process and a little bit of disk space (outside the installation materials
    > > you're deploying)...

    > > A NIM server is good for so much more than just installing the initial O/S
    > > image. You can use it to apply patches, install just about anything that
    > > comes in an AIX or RPM format package, automate the creation of O/S backup
    > > images, and a whole lot more. It's also helpful when you want to create
    > > O/S installs that are identical or apply the same change to two or more
    > > clients...

    > > I may be mis-remembering, but I think you're going to be forced into using
    > > the Integrated Virtualization Manager to manage LPARs on your boxes
    > > without an HMC. I think that implies a single Virtual I/O Server partition
    > > per chassis and a limited level of redundancy and fault resilience... If
    > > this is truly a production environment, I hope you'll have multi-pathed
    > > disk of some kind and a good backup solution in place... I've had
    > > exceptionally good luck with virtual I/O server technology, but there are
    > > limitations when you're not in a redundant configuration...

    > > Good luck!

    > > -Chris

    > Thanks, Chris. Those other benefits of NIS were what I was hoping
    > for. As for production/non-production with Virtual I/O Server, well,
    > the best "production" setup we can afford may not qualify as more than
    > a rough and ready test setup in your shop, but we'll do the best we
    > can with what we have. If we raised our tuition 10% and told the
    > students it was for 5 9's of uptime on our student records system, I
    > don't think they'd agree it was such a great deal. We'll be careful
    > about backups, of course.

    I meant NIM, not NIS.

  5. Re: Does NIM pay for small deployments?

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 03:55:02 +0000, phr wrote:

    > On Oct 28, 8:53 pm, phr wrote:
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > I meant NIM, not NIS.

    Ahhh... I have many fond memories of working on college campuses... None
    of them seem to involve unlimited $$$ for hardware, though... Good luck
    with AIX!

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread