ntpdate Command Driving Me Crazy - Aix

This is a discussion on ntpdate Command Driving Me Crazy - Aix ; Greetings! There's an appliance in the Data Center that gets its time from somewhere in space that I point two of our servers (master time servers) to for time sync. All the other servers point to these two master time ...

  1. ntpdate Command Driving Me Crazy

    Greetings!

    There's an appliance in the Data Center
    that gets its time from somewhere in space
    that I point two of our servers (master time servers)
    to for time sync. All the other servers point
    to these two master time servers in /etc/ntp.conf.
    This works great until the appliance gets hosed.
    I unplug the appliance, replug it and all is happiness again.

    OK, so I'd like to be able to know when the appliance
    is no longer serving time and I thought I'd do the following
    on one of our master time servers:

    stopsrc -s xntpd
    ntpdate timeApplianceInDataCenter
    rc=$?
    if [[ $rc -ne 0 ]
    then
    # send some error message
    fi
    startsrc -s xntpd

    However, when I run the ntpdate command I continue to get
    "no server suitable for synchronization found" messages.

    Here's what I know:

    1. The Appliance is defined in /etc/hosts, is included in
    /etc/ntp.conf, and works just fine when xntpd is running.
    (I use copy/paste to ensure the proper host name is being used
    for the ntpdate command.)

    2. When xntpd is turned off, the "ntpdate timeApplianceInDataCenter"
    command fails.

    Anyone have a clue?

  2. Re: ntpdate Command Driving Me Crazy

    Briantb pisze:

    > Anyone have a clue?

    Do you have any firewalls between this machine and the time server? Just
    check if UDP/123 is not being dropped in the log. There must be
    something with communication between those two.

    --
    Regards
    Filip Kata

  3. Re: ntpdate Command Driving Me Crazy

    Briantb wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > There's an appliance in the Data Center
    > that gets its time from somewhere in space
    > that I point two of our servers (master time servers)
    > to for time sync. All the other servers point
    > to these two master time servers in /etc/ntp.conf.
    > This works great until the appliance gets hosed.
    > I unplug the appliance, replug it and all is happiness again.
    >
    > OK, so I'd like to be able to know when the appliance
    > is no longer serving time and I thought I'd do the following
    > on one of our master time servers:
    >
    > stopsrc -s xntpd
    > ntpdate timeApplianceInDataCenter
    > rc=$?
    > if [[ $rc -ne 0 ]
    > then
    > # send some error message
    > fi
    > startsrc -s xntpd
    >
    > However, when I run the ntpdate command I continue to get
    > "no server suitable for synchronization found" messages.
    >
    > Here's what I know:
    >
    > 1. The Appliance is defined in /etc/hosts, is included in
    > /etc/ntp.conf, and works just fine when xntpd is running.
    > (I use copy/paste to ensure the proper host name is being used
    > for the ntpdate command.)
    >
    > 2. When xntpd is turned off, the "ntpdate timeApplianceInDataCenter"
    > command fails.
    >
    > Anyone have a clue?

    Hi!

    I would change your "watchdog". If you use "ntpq -p" you get your peers
    like this:
    server# ntpq -p
    remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset
    jitter
    *ntp2.belbone.be 195.13.23.6 2 u 272 1024 377 46.990 -6.663
    0.179
    +merlin.karpo.cz 195.113.144.201 2 u 395 1024 377 51.062 9.247
    1.081
    +dns.univ-lyon1. 195.220.94.163 2 u 370 1024 377 55.322 7.964
    3.293

    The column reach is octal and shows a binary pattern. 377 means 11111111
    so the last 8 polls the server was up & running. With grep/awk/perl/...
    you could easy monitor your "timeApplianceInDataCenter" without restart
    xntp.

    with best regards
    Dieter Stumpner

+ Reply to Thread