KVM solutions for p550 servers. - Aix

This is a discussion on KVM solutions for p550 servers. - Aix ; Hi, All I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have experience with these things that they could share with ...

  1. KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    Hi, All

    I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me
    remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    I should be looking for?

    TIA

    Jim Lane

  2. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    We've been using Avocent for a couple of years now, and have been
    pretty happy with it. You don't state whether you want Serial or
    VGA/KB/Mouse. Avocent has both. For Serial, you can use their
    regular VGA switch with a special powered dongle to handle RS-232
    communications, OR you can get their big 48-port Equinox switch, which
    is straight RS-232 all the way. For VGA, they have dongles for both
    PS/2 and USB keyboard/mouse connections.

    On Oct 25, 1:09 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    > Hi, All
    >
    > I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me
    > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    > I should be looking for?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim Lane

  3. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:09:58 -0700, Jim.Lane wrote:

    > Hi, All
    >
    > I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me remote
    > console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have experience
    > with these things that they could share with me? Which vendors and models
    > are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features I should be looking
    > for?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim Lane

    I'm a little surprised that a shop with 6 p550 systems wouldn't have a
    Hardware Management Console to control them... If you're managing the
    boxes with an HMC, that can be your complete console solution. I do a lot
    of console work by ssh'ing into my HMCs and using mkvterm to open terminal
    sessions to the various LPARs...

    -Chris

  4. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    wrote in message
    news:1193332198.657648.324580@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi, All
    >
    > I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me
    > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    > I should be looking for?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim Lane

    Weve got a bunch of Raritan Paragon stuff. It works pretty well except that
    the mouse tracking is a problem. Their new Dominion line is supposed to
    have resolved the mouse tracking but we haven't updated yet.

    One thing to look for is remote access, e.g. intra/internet. Your system
    admins can connect from their desktop or from home for example. The Raritan
    Paragon line needs an additional module called IPReach. The Dominion has it
    built in. It's all SSL enabled so security is not an issue.

  5. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Oct 26, 1:56 pm, "Roger Tango" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1193332198.657648.324580@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > > Hi, All

    > > I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me
    > > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    > > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    > > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    > > I should be looking for?

    > > TIA

    > > Jim Lane

    > Weve got a bunch of Raritan Paragon stuff. It works pretty well except that
    > the mouse tracking is a problem. Their new Dominion line is supposed to
    > have resolved the mouse tracking but we haven't updated yet.
    >
    > One thing to look for is remote access, e.g. intra/internet. Your system
    > admins can connect from their desktop or from home for example. The Raritan
    > Paragon line needs an additional module called IPReach. The Dominion has it
    > built in. It's all SSL enabled so security is not an issue.

    you can use Digi Terminal server model TS16 or TS8 .more details u can
    get from www.digi.com.
    it is having one LAN port,u can access this terminal server anywhere
    from the network.it will not show u GUI
    It shows only CLI. In TS16 ,16 servers can be connected .i am using it
    in my company.

  6. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Oct 25, 2:30 pm, rodak wrote:
    > We've been using Avocent for a couple of years now, and have been
    > pretty happy with it. You don't state whether you want Serial or
    > VGA/KB/Mouse. Avocent has both. For Serial, you can use their
    > regular VGA switch with a special powered dongle to handle RS-232
    > communications, OR you can get their big 48-port Equinox switch, which
    > is straight RS-232 all the way. For VGA, they have dongles for both
    > PS/2 and USB keyboard/mouse connections.
    >
    > On Oct 25, 1:09 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, All

    > > I need to get aKVMbox or console emulator of some kind to give me
    > > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    > > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    > > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    > > I should be looking for?

    > > TIA

    > > Jim Lane

    Actually all I really need is a character mode TTY session so I guess
    that means
    serial in this context. I've looked at Avocent's website and they have
    something
    called a Cyclades console server that sounds like what I'm looking
    for. Have you
    ever heard of that product?

    Regards,
    Jim Lane

  7. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Oct 25, 8:48 pm, Christopher Petersen software.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:09:58 -0700, Jim.Lane wrote:
    > > Hi, All

    > > I need to get aKVMbox or console emulator of some kind to give me remote
    > > console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have experience
    > > with these things that they could share with me? Which vendors and models
    > > are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features I should be looking
    > > for?

    > > TIA

    > > Jim Lane

    > I'm a little surprised that a shop with 6 p550 systems wouldn't have a
    > Hardware Management Console to control them... If you're managing the
    > boxes with an HMC, that can be your complete console solution. I do a lot
    > of console work by ssh'ing into my HMCs and using mkvterm to open terminal
    > sessions to the various LPARs...
    >
    > -Chris

    Chris: I hate to say it but lack of an HMC barely scratches the
    surface of what
    you'd be surprised by if you knew the mess I have to live with. These
    servers
    more or less "fell off the back of a truck" and I'm left to get on
    with them as
    they are. I'll be lucky if I can get any $ spent on a console solution
    so I'm
    looking for something dead cheap. Hopefully this will be before the
    other
    department who own the server room they live in, and who want me
    dead,
    manage to cut off my physical access. I kid you not.

    -Jim

  8. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    Jim.Lane@cibc.com wrote:
    > On Oct 25, 2:30 pm, rodak wrote:
    >> We've been using Avocent for a couple of years now, and have been
    >> pretty happy with it. You don't state whether you want Serial or
    >> VGA/KB/Mouse. Avocent has both. For Serial, you can use their
    >> regular VGA switch with a special powered dongle to handle RS-232
    >> communications, OR you can get their big 48-port Equinox switch, which
    >> is straight RS-232 all the way. For VGA, they have dongles for both
    >> PS/2 and USB keyboard/mouse connections.
    >>
    >> On Oct 25, 1:09 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, All
    >>> I need to get aKVMbox or console emulator of some kind to give me
    >>> remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    >>> experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    >>> vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    >>> I should be looking for?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Jim Lane

    > Actually all I really need is a character mode TTY session so I guess
    > that means
    > serial in this context. I've looked at Avocent's website and they have
    > something
    > called a Cyclades console server that sounds like what I'm looking
    > for. Have you
    > ever heard of that product?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jim Lane

    I have used the Cyclades in a Sun environment before and it was adequate
    for serial based connections. Like the Digi, you can connect directly
    to a certain server by the port you hit on the terminal server, i.e.,
    2001 would be the server connected to port 1, 2002 port 2, and so on.
    If you don't need the graphics, a serial terminal server will save you
    dollars and headaches.

    I am longing for the day when our graphical KVMs go away. :-)

    Either way, the Cyclades or the Digi will be great for serial based
    console connections.

  9. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Oct 25, 10:09 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    > Hi, All
    >
    > I need to get a KVM box or console emulator of some kind to give me
    > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    > I should be looking for?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim Lane

    check the link below , I am using this for AIX machines
    http://www.digi.com/products/serials...erverts816.jsp

  10. Re: KVM solutions for p550 servers.

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 05:19:55 -0700, Jim.Lane wrote:

    > On Oct 25, 2:30 pm, rodak wrote:
    >> We've been using Avocent for a couple of years now, and have been
    >> pretty happy with it. You don't state whether you want Serial or
    >> VGA/KB/Mouse. Avocent has both. For Serial, you can use their
    >> regular VGA switch with a special powered dongle to handle RS-232
    >> communications, OR you can get their big 48-port Equinox switch, which
    >> is straight RS-232 all the way. For VGA, they have dongles for both
    >> PS/2 and USB keyboard/mouse connections.
    >>
    >> On Oct 25, 1:09 pm, Jim.L...@cibc.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi, All

    >> > I need to get aKVMbox or console emulator of some kind to give me
    >> > remote console access to a group of 6 p550 servers. Does anybody have
    >> > experience with these things that they could share with me? Which
    >> > vendors and models are good (or to be avoided)? Are there any features
    >> > I should be looking for?

    >> > TIA

    >> > Jim Lane

    > Actually all I really need is a character mode TTY session so I guess
    > that means
    > serial in this context. I've looked at Avocent's website and they have
    > something
    > called a Cyclades console server that sounds like what I'm looking
    > for. Have you
    > ever heard of that product?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jim Lane

    I have several Cyclades terminal servers (serial) and they work great.
    They work fine with the RS-6000s that I do not have on HMC. They were
    their own company before being absorbed about a year or ago. They offer
    free software updates for life (or at least did in their previous life).

    They also have remote power on/off devices that integrate with the console
    servers.

    I have not tried their true KVMs (keyboard, mice, video) but would assume
    they are just as nice.

    I can tell you that none of the inexpensive KVMs work worth a darn with
    RS-6000s.

    Isaac Traxler
    AIX, Linux Admin
    LSU/LONI HPC