Dedicated processing on SP2 or SP4? Need answer - Aix

This is a discussion on Dedicated processing on SP2 or SP4? Need answer - Aix ; I have a question about running single-CPU jobs for dedicated processing on a multiprocessor IBM SP2 or SP4. QUESTION: Can an application be run as dedicated and non-shared on an SP2 or SP4 run 100% dedicated from start-to-finished on a ...

  1. Dedicated processing on SP2 or SP4? Need answer

    I have a question about running single-CPU jobs for dedicated processing
    on a multiprocessor IBM SP2 or SP4.

    QUESTION: Can an application be run as dedicated and non-shared on an
    SP2 or SP4 run 100% dedicated from start-to-finished on a CPU without
    EVER being process-swapped (context-switched) by another process, in
    particular a process that runs as root (e.g., the scheduler, some
    maintenance daemons, etc.), even if the duration of the
    swap/context-switch is very small? In addition, will such a process
    have access to the CPU's ENTIRE cache so there'd never be a concern
    about another process (even a high-priority root process) using the same
    CPU's cache? (Assume the program the user runs in question is one that
    uses static arrays and does not do any file I/O or I/O to stdin/stdout).

    I've heard of the use of processor affinity for running programs in
    so-called dedicated, non-shared mode, but I need know know if processor
    affinity or some other mechanism on the IBM SP2 or SP4 would allow a
    user process to run absolutely 100% dedicated, without EVER being
    context-switched by ANY process or thread whatsoever, on a CPU, nor be
    interrupted by any type of system interrupt (e.g. network I/O).

    Any supporting docs you can provide would be great. Thanks!

    -john

    --

  2. Re: Dedicated processing on SP2 or SP4? Need answer

    In comp.sys.super John Sasso wrote:
    > I have a question about running single-CPU jobs for dedicated processing
    > on a multiprocessor IBM SP2 or SP4.
    >
    > QUESTION: Can an application be run as dedicated and non-shared on an
    > SP2 or SP4 run 100% dedicated from start-to-finished on a CPU without
    > EVER being process-swapped (context-switched) by another process, in
    > particular a process that runs as root (e.g., the scheduler, some
    > maintenance daemons, etc.), even if the duration of the
    > swap/context-switch is very small? In addition, will such a process
    > have access to the CPU's ENTIRE cache so there'd never be a concern
    > about another process (even a high-priority root process) using the same
    > CPU's cache? (Assume the program the user runs in question is one that
    > uses static arrays and does not do any file I/O or I/O to stdin/stdout).
    >
    > I've heard of the use of processor affinity for running programs in
    > so-called dedicated, non-shared mode, but I need know know if processor
    > affinity or some other mechanism on the IBM SP2 or SP4 would allow a
    > user process to run absolutely 100% dedicated, without EVER being
    > context-switched by ANY process or thread whatsoever, on a CPU, nor be
    > interrupted by any type of system interrupt (e.g. network I/O).
    >
    > Any supporting docs you can provide would be great. Thanks!
    >
    > -john

    What's an IBM SP4?

    [c.p. moderator: John for a 1-line question like that, please cut the
    original attribution down and not use the entire text body.]