newbie on UNIX (and AIX) - Aix

This is a discussion on newbie on UNIX (and AIX) - Aix ; can someone point me out to a place where i can found the "command editor" command ?? and/or a list of AIX Unix commands ?? THanks in advance, Herman...

  1. newbie on UNIX (and AIX)

    can someone point me out to a place where i can found the "command
    editor" command ??

    and/or a list of AIX Unix commands ??

    THanks in advance,
    Herman

  2. Re: newbie on UNIX (and AIX)

    On Oct 17, 6:32 am, jaheuk wrote:
    > can someone point me out to a place where i can found the "command
    > editor" command ??
    >
    > and/or a list of AIX Unix commands ??
    >
    > THanks in advance,
    > Herman

    Hi Herman,

    You may want to try this website from IBM. It has a lot of the manuals
    for AIX, including the reference guides.

    http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/pser...base/aix52.htm

    These are the US English guides, so you may have to look around for
    other languages, if needed.

    You can also use the "man" pages if they are installed on your version
    of AIX. For example:

    # man vi
    # man ls
    # man mkuser

    All three will give you details about the commands or utilities, along
    with the flags that are valid for the commands, and an example or two
    on how the command can be used.

    Steve

  3. Re: newbie on UNIX (and AIX)

    jaheuk wrote:
    > can someone point me out to a place where i can found the "command
    > editor" command ??
    >
    > and/or a list of AIX Unix commands ??
    >

    > THanks in advance,
    > Herman

    Don't know why you want to learn AIX, but AIX has two very powerful user
    interfaces.
    Use smit (TUI) (or smitty on X11) to administrate your system. You can
    also use to learn the commandos with this tool, because you can use f6
    to show the executed commando. I recommend it to use, because it do all
    jobs aix-like, so you dont mess up /etc with the vi command editor.
    If you like a GUI, install the Web-based System Manager (wsm). You cant
    administrate the whole system, but it has a fine user interface for some
    common problems.

    with best regards
    Dieter Stumpner

+ Reply to Thread