Measuring network speed DURING a transfer - Aix

This is a discussion on Measuring network speed DURING a transfer - Aix ; On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network card (ent0)? Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ...

  1. Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be
    run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network
    card (ent0)?

    Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds for
    example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet card?

    What we presently do is transfer a 10MB file between the two servers
    and then check the FTP statistics at the end of the transfer (how many
    seconds it took, what was the listed Kbytes/Sec). But if I wanted to
    see if the transfer rate was faster at some point or slower at others
    on a data transfer that takes 4 minutes, is that possible?

    I was reviewing entstat and netstat but that doesn't seem to have what
    I'm looking for. Would netmon do this?

    Thx,

    Steve

  2. Re: Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada
    wrote:
    > On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be
    > run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network
    > card (ent0)?
    >
    > Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    > ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    > other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds for
    > example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet card?
    >
    > What we presently do is transfer a 10MB file between the two servers
    > and then check the FTP statistics at the end of the transfer (how many
    > seconds it took, what was the listed Kbytes/Sec). But if I wanted to
    > see if the transfer rate was faster at some point or slower at others
    > on a data transfer that takes 4 minutes, is that possible?
    >
    > I was reviewing entstat and netstat but that doesn't seem to have what
    > I'm looking for. Would netmon do this?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Steve

    nmon will do this
    use the n key to show network adapters

  3. Re: Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    On 16 Okt., 20:29, steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada
    wrote:
    > On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be
    > run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network
    > card (ent0)?
    >
    > Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    > ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    > other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds for
    > example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet card?
    >
    > What we presently do is transfer a 10MB file between the two servers
    > and then check the FTP statistics at the end of the transfer (how many
    > seconds it took, what was the listed Kbytes/Sec). But if I wanted to
    > see if the transfer rate was faster at some point or slower at others
    > on a data transfer that takes 4 minutes, is that possible?

    Yes
    You can use entstat or netstat and reset the traffic counter to start
    your measurement or use nmon as noted.

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Re: Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    On Oct 16, 2:54 pm, "aixd...@yahoo.com" wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 2:29 pm, steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada
    >

    > wrote:
    > > On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be
    > > run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network
    > > card (ent0)?

    > > Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    > > ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    > > other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds for
    > > example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet card?

    > > What we presently do is transfer a 10MB file between the two servers
    > > and then check the FTP statistics at the end of the transfer (how many
    > > seconds it took, what was the listed Kbytes/Sec). But if I wanted to
    > > see if the transfer rate was faster at some point or slower at others
    > > on a data transfer that takes 4 minutes, is that possible?

    > > I was reviewing entstat and netstat but that doesn't seem to have what
    > > I'm looking for. Would netmon do this?

    > > Thx,

    > > Steve

    > nmon will do this
    > use the n key to show network adapters- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks guys for responding. I downloaded and tried the nmon and it
    seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

    Steve

  5. Re: Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    On Oct 17, 7:29 am, steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada
    wrote:
    > On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can be
    > run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the network
    > card (ent0)?
    >
    > Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    > ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    > other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds for
    > example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet card?
    >
    > What we presently do is transfer a 10MB file between the two servers
    > and then check the FTP statistics at the end of the transfer (how many
    > seconds it took, what was the listed Kbytes/Sec). But if I wanted to
    > see if the transfer rate was faster at some point or slower at others
    > on a data transfer that takes 4 minutes, is that possible?
    >
    > I was reviewing entstat and netstat but that doesn't seem to have what
    > I'm looking for. Would netmon do this?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Steve

    create a variable for the time started - perl -le 'print time'
    calculate the size of the file
    # please tell me you DON'T actually use FTP
    file transfer runs
    recalculate above
    do the maths

  6. Re: Measuring network speed DURING a transfer

    steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:
    > On a RS/6000 running AIX 4.3 or higher, is there a command that can
    > be run that provides a measurement of the CURRENT traffic on the
    > network card (ent0)?

    > Let's say I am transferring a large file by FTP between ServerA and
    > ServerB, and the ent0 cards on each box are not being used for any
    > other traffic. Is there a way to list (on an interval of 3 seconds
    > for example) the specific transfer rate I am getting on the ethernet
    > card?

    If your goal is to see what the network can do between ServerA and
    ServerB, FTP may not be the right tool for the job. I would of course
    suggest netperf, configured with --enable-demo:

    configure --enable-demo

    and then run something like a TCP_STREAM test with the global -D
    option:

    raj@tardy:~/netperf2_trunk/src$ ./netperf -H hpcpc105 -D 1.0 -l 12
    TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to hpcpc105.cup.hp.com (16.89.84.105) port 0 AF_INET : demo
    Interim result: 93.26 10^6bits/s over 1.06 seconds
    Interim result: 82.22 10^6bits/s over 1.14 seconds
    Interim result: 84.56 10^6bits/s over 1.01 seconds
    Interim result: 78.15 10^6bits/s over 1.08 seconds
    Interim result: 73.98 10^6bits/s over 1.06 seconds
    Interim result: 74.59 10^6bits/s over 1.01 seconds
    Interim result: 76.20 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
    Interim result: 76.81 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
    Interim result: 72.37 10^6bits/s over 1.06 seconds
    Interim result: 77.58 10^6bits/s over 1.00 seconds
    Interim result: 70.85 10^6bits/s over 1.09 seconds
    Recv Send Send
    Socket Socket Message Elapsed
    Size Size Size Time Throughput
    bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec

    87380 16384 16384 12.04 77.57

    where the value you pass with -D is how many seconds you would like
    between updates.

    If the goal is to just look at what is "naturally" happening on the
    system, then netperf isn't the way to go.

    rick jones