root account expired - Aix

This is a discussion on root account expired - Aix ; Hello I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have following message Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks Slawek...

  1. root account expired

    Hello

    I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have
    following message
    Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can
    resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks

    Slawek

  2. Re: root account expired

    On Oct 16, 12:47 pm, "Slawomir Ksiazek" wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have
    > following message
    > Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can
    > resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks
    >
    > Slawek

    Very quickly and generally: boot from a mksysb and enter maintenance
    mode. From here you can edit /etc/passwd.

    Miles

  3. Re: root account expired

    Uzytkownik "miles" napisal w wiadomosci
    news:1192564085.657166.201640@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Oct 16, 12:47 pm, "Slawomir Ksiazek" wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have
    >> following message
    >> Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can
    >> resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks
    >>
    >> Slawek

    > Very quickly and generally: boot from a mksysb and enter maintenance
    > mode. From here you can edit /etc/passwd.
    >
    > Miles

    When I run maintenance mode i have this information

    1)Access the Volume Group and start a shell

    /etc/getrootfs[586]: 4226 Killed

    i don't know where is problem and how I can resolve this problem

  4. Re: root account expired

    Slawomir Ksiazek wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "miles" napisal w wiadomosci
    > news:1192564085.657166.201640@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    >> On Oct 16, 12:47 pm, "Slawomir Ksiazek" wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have
    >>> following message
    >>> Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can
    >>> resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Slawek

    >> Very quickly and generally: boot from a mksysb and enter maintenance
    >> mode. From here you can edit /etc/passwd.
    >>
    >> Miles
    >>

    > When I run maintenance mode i have this information
    >
    > 1)Access the Volume Group and start a shell
    >
    > /etc/getrootfs[586]: 4226 Killed
    >
    > i don't know where is problem and how I can resolve this problem

    Make sure you are booting a mksysb that is the same level as the server
    you are trying to recover. Forget trying to use an old CD to boot the
    server that is patched beyond the level of the CD. If you don't have a
    current mksysb of the system you are trying to recover, your luck may be
    about out.

  5. Re: root account expired

    Slawomir Ksiazek schrieb:
    > Uzytkownik "miles" napisal w wiadomosci
    > news:1192564085.657166.201640@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...

    >> Very quickly and generally: boot from a mksysb and enter maintenance
    >> mode. From here you can edit /etc/passwd.
    >>
    >> Miles
    >>

    > When I run maintenance mode i have this information
    >
    > 1)Access the Volume Group and start a shell
    >
    > /etc/getrootfs[586]: 4226 Killed
    >
    > i don't know where is problem and how I can resolve this problem

    You booted using an mksysb created on the system?
    The Killed uindicated that the bootimage you used
    is at a different level than the system you are
    booting.
    If you have nothing else to boot, try
    2) Access the VG and start a shell before mounting...
    Depending on the boot medium you may have more or
    less commands available (network boot I think gives
    you the most commands). Mount the root FS and fix
    the problem.
    By the way, you don't want to edit /etc/passwd. You
    should look at /etc/security (I have no idea where
    the 'expired' is marked - could be in /etc/security/passwd).

  6. Re: root account expired

    On Oct 16, 7:47 pm, "Slawomir Ksiazek" wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have problem on lpar whit AIX 5.3 TL 6 when I run su - root i have
    > following message
    > Your account has expired; please see the system administrator?How I can
    > resolve this problem, please help me;Thanks
    >
    > Slawek

    What command are you exactly executing
    $ su
    $ su -
    $ su - root

    The first should give you already root rights. So i see no needs for
    booting into maintenance mode.
    BTW: Is the error message really exactly written in your OP as it has
    been shown on your terminal? I ask because normaly - if LANG is set to
    en_US - you will have digit like 1234-986 on the beginning of the
    error message. This allows to find out more easly to see whats going
    on.

    So set LANG to en_US and just use ' su ' to get root rights.

    hth
    Hajo

  7. Re: root account expired

    This message is coming a year or two late, but I just want to make sure that it gets through to people who search this topic on a search engine (just like I did now).

    If the account you are logged-in has administrative rights, try:

    sudo su

    -- this should take you to the root account even though it is expired.

    also, you can do:

    sudo passwd root

    -- in case you forgot what the root password is

    Good luck!

  8. Re: root account expired

    Ok A couple of statements

    1) SUDO is not part of AIX it is freeware and if you cannot logon you cannot issue sudo
    2) If you cannot logon you cannot SU regardless of whether you use "-" or not
    3) The "expiration mask is in the /etc/security/lastlog
    4) When you boot from mksysb, select enter shell without mounting files.
    when prompted issue mkdir /mytmp
    mount /dev/hd4 /mytmp
    vi /mytmp/etc/lastlog ; remove the appropiate setting
    OR
    vi /mytmp/etc/security/user and remove roots passwd

    reboot and you should be able to logon if you cannot you must have some corruption in either /etc/group or /etc/uer

    aix53 TL7 change bos.rte.security, which does not like any invalid enntries in /etc/group

+ Reply to Thread