Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ? - Aix

This is a discussion on Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ? - Aix ; Learning AIX, so downloaded off IBM site Firefox 1.5.0.12 plus the 16 rpm files using XP and burnt them to cd. Using same CD installed them on (1) 44P running AIX 5.3 and have a working browser on P2P network. ...

  1. Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ?

    Learning AIX, so downloaded off IBM site Firefox 1.5.0.12 plus the 16 rpm
    files using XP and burnt them to cd.
    Using same CD installed them on
    (1) 44P running AIX 5.3 and have a working browser on P2P network.
    (2) F80 running AIX 5.2 the rpm's and Firefox installed okay with no
    errors. Running firefox I get errors. Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it
    which smit said went okay but on trying to run it I get the same errors.
    The errors are
    # /usr/bin/firefox
    aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    (coredump)

    Do these look like software errors or hardware errors ?

    Thanks
    Basil

  2. Re: Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ?

    Basil Holloway schrieb:
    > Learning AIX, so downloaded off IBM site Firefox 1.5.0.12 plus the 16 rpm
    > files using XP and burnt them to cd.
    > Using same CD installed them on
    > (1) 44P running AIX 5.3 and have a working browser on P2P network.
    > (2) F80 running AIX 5.2 the rpm's and Firefox installed okay with no
    > errors. Running firefox I get errors. Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it
    > which smit said went okay but on trying to run it I get the same errors.
    > The errors are
    > # /usr/bin/firefox
    > aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    > -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    > - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    > (coredump)

    en_AU sounds like some language stuff.
    Check echo $LANG and if this is en_AU
    you may try to change it to a language
    supported by firefox (see the README at
    http://www6.software.ibm.com/sdfdl/v...ml/README.HTML).
    This is only a guess...

  3. Re: Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ?

    "Thomas Braunbeck" wrote in message
    > Basil Holloway schrieb:
    >> Learning AIX, so downloaded off IBM site Firefox 1.5.0.12 plus the 16 rpm
    >> files using XP and burnt them to cd.
    >> Using same CD installed them on
    >> (1) 44P running AIX 5.3 and have a working browser on P2P network.
    >> (2) F80 running AIX 5.2 the rpm's and Firefox installed okay with no
    >> errors. Running firefox I get errors. Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled
    >> it which smit said went okay but on trying to run it I get the same
    >> errors.
    >> The errors are
    >> # /usr/bin/firefox
    >> aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> -aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15]
    >> -aixXLoadIM returns NULL. -
    >> - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    >> (coredump)
    >>

    > en_AU sounds like some language stuff.
    > Check echo $LANG and if this is en_AU
    > you may try to change it to a language
    > supported by firefox (see the README at
    > http://www6.software.ibm.com/sdfdl/v...ml/README.HTML).
    > This is only a guess...

    Thomas
    Thanks for reply.
    Using #echo $LANG
    On AIX 5.3 machine LANG=en_US
    On AIX 5.2 machine LANG=en_AU.8859-15
    Changed 5.2 machine to LANG=en_US
    and all " aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15] -aixXLoadIM returns
    NULL. - " now gone
    but this error
    " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    (coredump) "
    has changed to this
    " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 13502 Illegal instruction
    (coredump) "
    Firefox opened for a brief second then closed and error came on screen.
    Looks like a firefox error so will post on that NG.

    Basil

  4. Re: Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ?

    Basil Holloway schrieb:

    > Thomas
    > Thanks for reply.
    > Using #echo $LANG
    > On AIX 5.3 machine LANG=en_US
    > On AIX 5.2 machine LANG=en_AU.8859-15
    > Changed 5.2 machine to LANG=en_US
    > and all " aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15] -aixXLoadIM returns
    > NULL. - " now gone
    > but this error
    > " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    > (coredump) "
    > has changed to this
    > " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 13502 Illegal instruction
    > (coredump) "
    > Firefox opened for a brief second then closed and error came on screen.
    > Looks like a firefox error so will post on that NG.
    >
    > Basil

    Howdy Basil,
    you may take a look at the core using dbx to get an idea where this
    happened in the code. errpt -a should show you the location of the
    core file, line 36 in run-mozilla.sh the command which dumped core.
    In dbx get the stack trace (t or where), registers (x), ...?
    The Illegal instruction may happen
    - if the saved link register on the stack gets messed up.
    On the 2nd return after messing up the saved LR the execution
    then continues 'somewhere' ...
    - firefox may use run time linking, it can run even if not all
    symbols got resolved. But if such an unresolved function gets
    called.... I'm not sure if you can get the function name called
    from the core.
    It may use ldopen and friends... at least the aixXloadIM sounds like
    load input methods... not sure is the X points to X11 (if X11 has
    input methods - but that is guessing again).
    However, you may try the dbx command map ((dbx) map >/tmp/map.out).
    I think the dumping program is firefox, so get to the 5.3 system,
    dbx -a and get the map data from it too, then
    (dbx) detach. Compare all the loaded objects... maybe some LIBPATH
    setting on the 5.2 system causes firefox to pick up a different
    and wrong object or simply does not find one or more...
    Other options to debug this problem:
    - change line 36 in run-mozilla.sh to run this in truss
    (is truss available on 5.2 ...?). This may give you a hint what is
    missing on the 5.2 system.
    - put a trcstop in run.mozilla.sh after the failing command (trcstop
    at line line 37). Then start an AIX trace, start firefox. Format
    the trace and look at it (you may limit the trace to gather only
    spezific data, the F4 in the 'smit trace' functions can help you
    to find the available IDs, F6 does show the trace command). I would
    get the lookuppn calls and all the loader hooks.... this way you
    can find the module which could not be loaded.

    Thomas

  5. Re: Browser Problems - Hardware or Software ?

    > Basil Holloway schrieb:
    >

    >> Thomas
    >> Thanks for reply.
    >> Using #echo $LANG
    >> On AIX 5.3 machine LANG=en_US
    >> On AIX 5.2 machine LANG=en_AU.8859-15
    >> Changed 5.2 machine to LANG=en_US
    >> and all " aixXLoadIM : 1M Load Error [en AU.8859-15] -aixXLoadIM
    >> returns NULL. - " now gone
    >> but this error
    >> " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 17812 Illegal instruction
    >> (coredump) "
    >> has changed to this
    >> " - /usr/mozilla/firefox/run-mozilla.sh[36]: 13502 Illegal instruction
    >> (coredump) "
    >> Firefox opened for a brief second then closed and error came on screen.
    >> Looks like a firefox error so will post on that NG.
    >>
    >> Basil
    >>

    > Howdy Basil,
    > you may take a look at the core using dbx to get an idea where this
    > happened in the code. errpt -a should show you the location of the
    > core file, line 36 in run-mozilla.sh the command which dumped core.
    > In dbx get the stack trace (t or where), registers (x), ...?
    > The Illegal instruction may happen
    > - if the saved link register on the stack gets messed up.
    > On the 2nd return after messing up the saved LR the execution
    > then continues 'somewhere' ...
    > - firefox may use run time linking, it can run even if not all
    > symbols got resolved. But if such an unresolved function gets
    > called.... I'm not sure if you can get the function name called
    > from the core.
    > It may use ldopen and friends... at least the aixXloadIM sounds like
    > load input methods... not sure is the X points to X11 (if X11 has
    > input methods - but that is guessing again).
    > However, you may try the dbx command map ((dbx) map >/tmp/map.out).
    > I think the dumping program is firefox, so get to the 5.3 system,
    > dbx -a and get the map data from it too, then
    > (dbx) detach. Compare all the loaded objects... maybe some LIBPATH
    > setting on the 5.2 system causes firefox to pick up a different
    > and wrong object or simply does not find one or more...
    > Other options to debug this problem:
    > - change line 36 in run-mozilla.sh to run this in truss
    > (is truss available on 5.2 ...?). This may give you a hint what is
    > missing on the 5.2 system.
    > - put a trcstop in run.mozilla.sh after the failing command (trcstop
    > at line line 37). Then start an AIX trace, start firefox. Format
    > the trace and look at it (you may limit the trace to gather only
    > spezific data, the F4 in the 'smit trace' functions can help you
    > to find the available IDs, F6 does show the trace command). I would
    > get the lookuppn calls and all the loader hooks.... this way you
    > can find the module which could not be loaded.
    >
    > Thomas

    Thomas, I really feel bad after all the time and trouble you went to with
    your post.
    Sorry mate, it is way beyond my level of ability. Never heard of dbx until
    you talked about it.

    Uninstalled firefox again and updated the machine with ML10 although it only
    went to 5200-09.
    Found out about #rpm -qa and it shows " AIX-rpm-5.2.0.95-2 " which exceeds
    what IBM wanted for Firefox " rpm.rte version 3.0.5.32 "
    Machines memory and cpu also execeed the IBM/Firefox spec.
    Reinstalled firefox after ML10/ML9 done and got the same error as before,
    only the error code number changed to 16542.

    Not sure how the 16 ppc.rpm prerequisites work.
    Should they be uninstalled after the Firefox uninstall, then reinstalled
    before the Firefox reinstallation ?
    Searching about on how to uninstall the 16 ppc.rpm prerequisites found
    #rpm -Va which shows at the end after many lines of code
    " Unsatisfied dependencies for AIX-rpm-5.2.0.95-2: rpm, rpm-build, bzip2,
    gzip, info, patch, popt.
    Does this say the 16 ppc.rpm prerequisites installation is crook ?

    Also found " #rpm -e package "
    I put the 16 ppc.rpm prerequisites into a folder at /fire16rpm so do I just
    run
    #cd /fire16rpm
    #rpm -e /*.rpm
    to uninstall them
    and to reinstall them
    #cd /fire16rpm
    #rpm -Uvh *.rpm.
    Does the -e erase them or just uninstall them ?

    Or perhaps I try Seamonkey ( which I did not like, but ran ok on AIX 5.2 on
    a 7044 ) on the 7025-F80/AIX 5.2 computer.
    If I go that way, still have to uninstall the 16 ppc.rpm Firefox
    prerequisites before installing the Seamonkety ones. Correct ?

    Thanks Thomas

    Basil

+ Reply to Thread