TSM DISASTER RECOVERY - Aix

This is a discussion on TSM DISASTER RECOVERY - Aix ; Hello all, this will be my first time restoring a TSM server in DR facility. Does any one one have good notes or simple direction i can follow? like a step by step type of instruction.. We do use DRM ...

  1. TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    Hello all,

    this will be my first time restoring a TSM server in DR facility.
    Does any one one have good notes or simple direction i can follow?
    like a step by step type of instruction..
    We do use DRM feature of TIVOLI. Your help is greatly appreciated

    Thank you in advance.
    pinoy

  2. Re: TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    On Oct 9, 11:31 pm, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > this will be my first time restoring a TSM server in DR facility.
    > Does any one one have good notes or simple direction i can follow?
    > like a step by step type of instruction..
    > We do use DRM feature of TIVOLI. Your help is greatly appreciated
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > pinoy

    If you use DRM you should have a Recovery Plan File created by an job
    executing "prepare" on the TSM Server.

    The Recovery Plan File will tell you which Tapes are need for DR and
    what steps has to be done after the TSM server itself has been
    recovered.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    On 10 Oct, 09:21, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 11:31 pm, pinoy2ser wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,

    > > this will be my first time restoring a TSM server in DR facility.
    > > Does any one one have good notes or simple direction i can follow?
    > > like a step by step type of instruction..
    > > We do use DRM feature of TIVOLI. Your help is greatly appreciated

    > > Thank you in advance.
    > > pinoy

    > If you use DRM you should have a Recovery Plan File created by an job
    > executing "prepare" on the TSM Server.
    >
    > The Recovery Plan File will tell you which Tapes are need for DR and
    > what steps has to be done after the TSM server itself has been
    > recovered.
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Pinoy,

    To be honest you really need to think this through yourself. It is to
    big a subject for someone to just give you tips or notes on. There
    are too many variables.

    The first thing is for you to understand how to restore the TSM DB

    dsmserv restore (I think from memory)

    To be honest its all pretty straightforward although does take some
    planning. Most TSM things are pretty simple and DR is no exception.

    Personally what I do is copy my TSM config files and volhist.out etc
    to a server at a different site. In a DR I can then access all my TSM
    config and install TSM on a new server, restore my DB and then copy
    onto it the config files, ie dsmserv.sys etc.

    One tip is maybe to not set your prim tape pool to destroyed as if you
    do this and then find a secondary tape is damaged you cant use the
    prim pool to restore from. No good in a rel DR I know but in a test
    youmay want to make use of a prim tape if part of the DR test is to
    restore users data.

    Its also a good time to check everything is being taken offsite that
    should be.

    Regards,
    Scott

  4. Re: TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    On Oct 10, 1:45 pm, scott wrote:
    > On 10 Oct, 09:21, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 9, 11:31 pm, pinoy2ser wrote:

    > > > Hello all,

    > > > this will be my first time restoring a TSM server in DR facility.
    > > > Does any one one have good notes or simple direction i can follow?
    > > > like a step by step type of instruction..
    > > > We do use DRM feature of TIVOLI. Your help is greatly appreciated

    > > > Thank you in advance.
    > > > pinoy

    > > If you use DRM you should have a Recovery Plan File created by an job
    > > executing "prepare" on the TSM Server.

    > > The Recovery Plan File will tell you which Tapes are need for DR and
    > > what steps has to be done after the TSM server itself has been
    > > recovered.

    > > hth
    > > Hajo

    > Pinoy,
    >
    > To be honest you really need to think this through yourself. It is to
    > big a subject for someone to just give you tips or notes on. There
    > are too many variables.
    >
    > The first thing is for you to understand how to restore the TSM DB
    >
    > dsmserv restore (I think from memory)
    >
    > To be honest its all pretty straightforward although does take some
    > planning. Most TSM things are pretty simple and DR is no exception.
    >
    > Personally what I do is copy my TSM config files and volhist.out etc
    > to a server at a different site. In a DR I can then access all my TSM
    > config and install TSM on a new server, restore my DB and then copy
    > onto it the config files, ie dsmserv.sys etc.
    >
    > One tip is maybe to not set your prim tape pool to destroyed as if you
    > do this and then find a secondary tape is damaged you cant use the
    > prim pool to restore from. No good in a rel DR I know but in a test
    > youmay want to make use of a prim tape if part of the DR test is to
    > restore users data.
    >
    > Its also a good time to check everything is being taken offsite that
    > should be.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    Great advice Scott..

    what i've doing everyday is tar the whole /usr/tivoli/* directory.
    so when i get to the site i have all the files I need the TSM may look
    for..

    my draft:

    1) install the mksysb and the non rootvg
    2) untar my /usr/tivoli/
    3) make sure the ATL is communicating with the TSM server
    4) follow the directions in the PREPARE report
    5) when do I set the offsite tapes destroyed once TSM is up?

  5. Re: TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    On 10 Oct, 20:28, pinoy2ser wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 1:45 pm, scott wrote:

    > > > If you use DRM you should have a Recovery Plan File created by an job
    > > > executing "prepare" on the TSM Server.

    > > > The Recovery Plan File will tell you which Tapes are need for DR and
    > > > what steps has to be done after the TSM server itself has been
    > > > recovered.

    > > > hth
    > > > Hajo

    > > Pinoy,

    > > To be honest you really need to think this through yourself. It is to
    > > big a subject for someone to just give you tips or notes on. There
    > > are too many variables.

    > > The first thing is for you to understand how to restore the TSM DB

    > > dsmserv restore (I think from memory)

    > > To be honest its all pretty straightforward although does take some
    > > planning. Most TSM things are pretty simple and DR is no exception.

    > > Personally what I do is copy my TSM config files and volhist.out etc
    > > to a server at a different site. In a DR I can then access all my TSM
    > > config and install TSM on a new server, restore my DB and then copy
    > > onto it the config files, ie dsmserv.sys etc.

    > > One tip is maybe to not set your prim tape pool to destroyed as if you
    > > do this and then find a secondary tape is damaged you cant use the
    > > prim pool to restore from. No good in a rel DR I know but in a test
    > > youmay want to make use of a prim tape if part of the DR test is to
    > > restore users data.

    > > Its also a good time to check everything is being taken offsite that
    > > should be.

    > > Regards,
    > > Scott- Hide quoted text -

    > Great advice Scott..
    >
    > what i've doing everyday is tar the whole /usr/tivoli/* directory.
    > so when i get to the site i have all the files I need the TSM may look
    > for..
    >
    > my draft:
    >
    > 1) install the mksysb and the non rootvg
    > 2) untar my /usr/tivoli/
    > 3) make sure the ATL is communicating with the TSM server
    > 4) follow the directions in the PREPARE report
    > 5) when do I set the offsite tapes destroyed once TSM is up?- Hide quoted text -

    For number 5, yes once TSM is all up and running you can do this.
    Although I think you can just set the prim pool to unavailable
    instead of destroyed, that way you can always courier a prim tape to
    the DR site should you need to read data from it for client restores.
    As I said above you cant do that in a real disaster as your prim tapes
    are toast. But in a test its something you can maybe do in case the
    seco tape is not around, or unreadable etc.

    What you should also do is make sure all your secondary pool tapes you
    load are set to be readonly by TSM (even make them physically readonly
    by turning the tape tab if possible). otherwise you may find some
    reclamation or whatever starts and moves data about on the tapes which
    of course the live TSM server wont know about.

    I think you can set something in dsmserv.opt to stop schedules
    running, I think its 'disablescheds yes' So put that in there before
    you start TSM. This will stop admin schedules and backup scheds I
    believe.

    Something we never considered too much until recently was the prim
    disk pools. We concentrated on just recovering TSM so we could
    restore. But now many of a servers (clients) are split site, so in
    actual fact we may not want to restore from TSM so much as get it
    ready for client backups. In that case we of course need to make sure
    all the disk pools are available as well.

    Regards,
    Scott

  6. Re: TSM DISASTER RECOVERY

    On Oct 11, 8:04 am, scott wrote:
> [...]

    > load are set to be readonly by TSM (even make them physically readonly
    > by turning the tape tab if possible). otherwise you may find some
    > reclamation or whatever starts and moves data about on the tapes which
    > of course the live TSM server wont know about.
    >
    > I think you can set something in dsmserv.opt to stop schedules
    > running, I think its 'disablescheds yes' So put that in there before
    > you start TSM. This will stop admin schedules and backup scheds I
    > believe.
    >
    > Something we never considered too much until recently was the prim
    > disk pools. We concentrated on just recovering TSM so we could
    > restore. But now many of a servers (clients) are split site, so in
    > actual fact we may not want to restore from TSM so much as get it
    > ready for client backups. In that case we of course need to make sure
    > all the disk pools are available as well.

    thanks again for the help and valuable advice....

    Regards,
    pinoy

+ Reply to Thread