7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405 - Aix

This is a discussion on 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405 - Aix ; On a 7043-43P running AIX 5.1 have an attached a SSA 7131-405 tower containing 3 physical hard drives which are not part of rootvg. To add them to rootvg have tried smit extendvg and smit chvg, but just get various ...

  1. 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On a 7043-43P running AIX 5.1 have an attached a SSA 7131-405 tower
    containing 3 physical hard drives which are not part of rootvg.
    To add them to rootvg have tried smit extendvg and smit chvg, but just get
    various warnings and errors and smit fails.
    Thought the easiest way was to reinstall AIX 5.1 using the complete
    overwrite method and add the three extra SSA disks there. They do not show
    up on the installation screen.

    #lsdev -C -c disk shows:
    hdisk0 and hdisk1, the two hard drives in the computer
    hdisk2, hdisk3 and hdisk4, the three SSA hard drives in the SSA tower

    #lsdev -C pdisk -s ssar -H shows pdisk0, pdisk1 and pdisk2

    Running #mkdev -l hdisk 2 then again on hdisk3 and hdisk4 shows all
    available.
    Running #mkdev -l pdisk 0 then again on pdisk1 and pdisk2 shows all
    available.

    Have run the diagnostics on the SSA installation and all appears to be going
    okay. No error messages nor orange lights showing. The three SSA hard drives
    are on one loop.

    Would appreciate help as to how to get SSA hdisk2, SSA hdisk3, and SSA
    hdisk4 to show up on the complete overwrite installation screen along with
    hdisk0 and hdisk1 so I can include the 5 physical hard drives in rootvg.

    Thanks
    Basil

  2. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On 8 Oct, 00:26, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > On a 7043-43P running AIX 5.1 have an attached a SSA 7131-405 tower
    > containing 3 physical hard drives which are not part of rootvg.
    > To add them to rootvg have tried smit extendvg and smit chvg, but just get
    > various warnings and errors and smit fails.
    > Thought the easiest way was to reinstall AIX 5.1 using the complete
    > overwrite method and add the three extra SSA disks there. They do not show
    > up on the installation screen.
    >
    > #lsdev -C -c disk shows:
    > hdisk0 and hdisk1, the two hard drives in the computer
    > hdisk2, hdisk3 and hdisk4, the three SSA hard drives in the SSA tower
    >
    > #lsdev -C pdisk -s ssar -H shows pdisk0, pdisk1 and pdisk2
    >
    > Running #mkdev -l hdisk 2 then again on hdisk3 and hdisk4 shows all
    > available.
    > Running #mkdev -l pdisk 0 then again on pdisk1 and pdisk2 shows all
    > available.
    >
    > Have run the diagnostics on the SSA installation and all appears to be going
    > okay. No error messages nor orange lights showing. The three SSA hard drives
    > are on one loop.
    >
    > Would appreciate help as to how to get SSA hdisk2, SSA hdisk3, and SSA
    > hdisk4 to show up on the complete overwrite installation screen along with
    > hdisk0 and hdisk1 so I can include the 5 physical hard drives in rootvg.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Basil

    Hi,

    Did you try adding the 3xSSA to a seperate VG other than rootvg to
    make sure that worked OK? if it did then Im *guessing* that the
    firmware of your server doesnt allow SSA to be used in rootvg.

    Id check the AIX and firmware level to see which disk types can be in
    rootvg.

    The fact that they dont show up as disks you can install into would
    make me think this even more.

    Regards,
    Scott

  3. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On Oct 8, 12:26 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > On a 7043-43P running AIX 5.1 have an attached a SSA 7131-405 tower
    > containing 3 physical hard drives which are not part of rootvg.
    > To add them to rootvg have tried smit extendvg and smit chvg, but just get
    > various warnings and errors and smit fails.
    > Thought the easiest way was to reinstall AIX 5.1 using the complete
    > overwrite method and add the three extra SSA disks there. They do not show
    > up on the installation screen.
    >
    > #lsdev -C -c disk shows:
    > hdisk0 and hdisk1, the two hard drives in the computer
    > hdisk2, hdisk3 and hdisk4, the three SSA hard drives in the SSA tower
    >
    > #lsdev -C pdisk -s ssar -H shows pdisk0, pdisk1 and pdisk2
    >
    > Running #mkdev -l hdisk 2 then again on hdisk3 and hdisk4 shows all
    > available.
    > Running #mkdev -l pdisk 0 then again on pdisk1 and pdisk2 shows all
    > available.
    >
    > Have run the diagnostics on the SSA installation and all appears to be going
    > okay. No error messages nor orange lights showing. The three SSA hard drives
    > are on one loop.
    >
    > Would appreciate help as to how to get SSA hdisk2, SSA hdisk3, and SSA
    > hdisk4 to show up on the complete overwrite installation screen along with
    > hdisk0 and hdisk1 so I can include the 5 physical hard drives in rootvg.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Basil

    I seem to recall that some of the older RS/6000's do not allow booting
    from SSA so it's not too hard to extrapolate that this could be the
    cause of your headaches. I could be wrong.
    I'd agree with scott; can you add these disks to another vg?
    Why not move the LV's that are causing the squeeze on disk space out
    of the rootvg ?
    It's really a very bad idea for recovery to have anything other than
    AIX-only stuff in the rootvg, it makes your mksysb recovery more
    complex than it needs to be

  4. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    Scott & Henry, many thanks for reply.

    Well your answers certainly plunged the IBM AIX newbie into the Redbooks.
    Was able to create another VG, newvg, consisting of the SSA LV's hdisk2,
    hdisk3 and hdisk4.

    The 7043-43P(240) is at the latest firmware level.

    The firmware page for the 7131-405 has disappeared off the IBM site, so I
    looked at each individual unit ie ssa0 adapter and three SSA hard drives,
    thats all that is in my 7131-405 tower.

    The firmware (ROS & ID) currently 3700, for the ssa0 (14104500) adapter Raid
    PCI-6218 type 4-J is the latest level.

    Had more of a problem with the firmware (ROS & ID) currently 8190, for the
    three DFHCC4C hard drives.
    The site http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...d=ssg1S1002327
    had 5 types of DFHC drives, but not the C4C type.

    Found this in a 1998 .boo, SA33-3272-02
    " PCI systems can be booted only from non-SSA disk drives. They CANNOT be
    booted from :
    SSA disk drives, RAID arrays, Disk drives that have the fast-write function
    enabled. "
    so I suppose this means that SSA LV's, hdisk2, hdisk3 and hdisk4 can never
    belong to rootvg.

    I don't have a clue how to handle an AIX computer with two VG's.
    How to mkdir in newvg, copy CD's to newvg etc etc.
    Spent a long time searching for Red Books on the topic but no luck.
    Could you give me any references to read up on ?

    Thanks
    Basil

  5. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On 9 Oct, 10:39, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Scott & Henry, many thanks for reply.
    >
    > Well your answers certainly plunged the IBM AIX newbie into the Redbooks.
    > Was able to create another VG, newvg, consisting of the SSA LV's hdisk2,
    > hdisk3 and hdisk4.
    >
    > The 7043-43P(240) is at the latest firmware level.
    >
    > The firmware page for the 7131-405 has disappeared off the IBM site, so I
    > looked at each individual unit ie ssa0 adapter and three SSA hard drives,
    > thats all that is in my 7131-405 tower.
    >
    > The firmware (ROS & ID) currently 3700, for the ssa0 (14104500) adapter Raid
    > PCI-6218 type 4-J is the latest level.
    >
    > Had more of a problem with the firmware (ROS & ID) currently 8190, for the
    > three DFHCC4C hard drives.
    > The sitehttp://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=505&uid=ssg1S1002327
    > had 5 types of DFHC drives, but not the C4C type.
    >
    > Found this in a 1998 .boo, SA33-3272-02
    > " PCI systems can be booted only from non-SSA disk drives. They CANNOT be
    > booted from :
    > SSA disk drives, RAID arrays, Disk drives that have the fast-write function
    > enabled. "
    > so I suppose this means that SSA LV's, hdisk2, hdisk3 and hdisk4 can never
    > belong to rootvg.
    >
    > I don't have a clue how to handle an AIX computer with two VG's.
    > How to mkdir in newvg, copy CD's to newvg etc etc.
    > Spent a long time searching for Red Books on the topic but no luck.
    > Could you give me any references to read up on ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Basil

    Hi Basil,

    The reference you found to PCI systems is very old and not true for
    newer servers, however in your case the system is old and it probably
    is true. Ive never tried adding in SSA to rootvg on systems which
    dont support booting from it so I wouldnt be suprised if the system
    just doesnt let you do it.

    Anyway - from your posting it sounds as though you are not really
    familiar with the concept of logical volumes and filesystems? Sorry
    if you are but that is how it sounds.

    So I will give you some basic info and hopefully that will get you
    started.

    On you newvg you now need to create a logical volume and in that
    logical volume you create a filesystem and give it a mount point.

    use 'smitty storage' to do this.

    If you do a 'df' at the command line you probaby see something like

    Filesystem 512-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    /dev/hd4 262144 142472 46% 3271 17% /
    /dev/hd2 5767168 297016 95% 41757 50% /usr
    /dev/hd9var 524288 131344 75% 707 5% /var
    /dev/hd3 2359296 565400 77% 4521 7% /tmp
    /dev/hd1 4194304 2975184 30% 4591 2% /home

    The left hand column is the LV and the right hand the filesystem.
    These LV's and FS's have all been defined by the system to live on
    rootvg.

    So you may want to create a new LV called 'testlv' on the 'newvg' VG.
    Then in testlv create a filesystem with a mount point of say /testFS.
    Do all this via 'smitty storage'.

    Then any directories/files you create in /testFS will be on the disks
    in newvg.

    An 'lspv' will show which disks are in which VG.

    The reason to have more than one VG is to seperate out your data. The
    system itself doesnt really care. So in rootvg you have AIX, in maybe
    appvg you have application code, in datavg you may have app/user data
    etc etc.

    Note that you can create a FS and get the system to create the LV
    automatically for you. This doesnt allow you to name the LV as you
    would like so if you like to call it a certain name then create the LV
    manually first.

    Hope it helps.

    Scott

  6. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    Scott
    Thanks for all the time and trouble you went to with your reply.
    Found a couple of old Redbooks on LVM.
    Printing them out together with your instructions and will study them all
    this weekend.

    Basil

  7. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On Oct 10, 1:00 pm, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Scott
    > Thanks for all the time and trouble you went to with your reply.
    > Found a couple of old Redbooks on LVM.
    > Printing them out together with your instructions and will study them all
    > this weekend.
    >
    > Basil

    you'll also need a plan for migrating that data out of the rootvg

  8. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    Scott
    Made good progress.
    Created LV's on each of the three PV,s and then created a file system on
    each. Then copied the contents of a CD to each file system.
    All okay.
    Funny thing is that
    #ls shows the three new file systems in root
    #ls in /dev shows the three new PV's
    #df does not show the three new /dev/??? file systems.
    Opening Management Console, under host tweed, they are all present in both
    areas ie
    tweed/Volumes/Logical Volumes
    tweed/Volumes/Logical Groups
    #df must only show file systems in rootvg, not other volume groups.
    Probably will find other quirks as I go along.
    Old 1996 SSA systems not compatible with 2006 version bos's.

    Basil

  9. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    Basil Holloway wrote:
    > Scott
    > Made good progress.
    > Created LV's on each of the three PV,s and then created a file system on
    > each. Then copied the contents of a CD to each file system.
    > All okay.
    > Funny thing is that
    > #ls shows the three new file systems in root
    > #ls in /dev shows the three new PV's
    > #df does not show the three new /dev/??? file systems.
    > Opening Management Console, under host tweed, they are all present in both
    > areas ie
    > tweed/Volumes/Logical Volumes
    > tweed/Volumes/Logical Groups
    > #df must only show file systems in rootvg, not other volume groups.

    No. I use rootvg for AIX and datavg for my data and programs. df shows
    all of the logical volumes on both volume groups. The only time they
    will not show is if they are not mounted. Of course you can not mount
    the logical volumes until you create the file system. Once the file
    system is created, not just the logical volume defined, you need to
    mount them. They should then show in df.

    > Probably will find other quirks as I go along.
    > Old 1996 SSA systems not compatible with 2006 version bos's.
    >
    > Basil

  10. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    On 11 Oct, 11:32, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:
    > Basil Holloway wrote:
    > > Scott
    > > Made good progress.
    > > Created LV's on each of the three PV,s and then created a file system on
    > > each. Then copied the contents of a CD to each file system.
    > > All okay.
    > > Funny thing is that
    > > #ls shows the three new file systems in root
    > > #ls in /dev shows the three new PV's
    > > #df does not show the three new /dev/??? file systems.
    > > Opening Management Console, under host tweed, they are all present in both
    > > areas ie
    > > tweed/Volumes/Logical Volumes
    > > tweed/Volumes/Logical Groups
    > > #df must only show file systems in rootvg, not other volume groups.

    > No. I use rootvg for AIX and datavg for my data and programs. df shows
    > all of the logical volumes on both volume groups. The only time they
    > will not show is if they are not mounted. Of course you can not mount
    > the logical volumes until you create the file system. Once the file
    > system is created, not just the logical volume defined, you need to
    > mount them. They should then show in df.
    >

    > > Probably will find other quirks as I go along.
    > > Old 1996 SSA systems not compatible with 2006 version bos's.

    > > Basil- Hide quoted text -

    To mount them either issue 'mount /your/fs/name' or try a 'mount all'

    try a 'lsvg -l newvg' and you will see the LV's and FS's. Once
    mounted they will show as open/syncd. If not mounted they will be
    closed/syncd. Eg from 'lsvg -l rootvg'

    LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT
    POINT
    hd5 boot 1 2 2 closed/syncd N/A
    hd6 paging 64 128 2 open/syncd N/A
    hd8 jfs2log 1 2 2 open/syncd N/A
    hd4 jfs2 11 22 2 open/syncd /
    hd2 jfs2 41 82 2 open/syncd /usr
    hd9var jfs2 4 8 2 open/syncd /var

    Note that hd5 is always closed as it is the boot LV. All others will
    normally be open unless unmounted for some reason.

    Also note that not all LV's have a FS associated with them. For eg
    you can have a database, eg DB2, that uses raw LV's with no filesystem
    to store the data. These will still show as open once the database
    has been started.

    And as you can see above, paging space is not in a filesystem and
    neither is the filesystem log (jfs2log).

    Regards,
    Scott

  11. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    If you have managed to copy a cd's worth of data into the
    "filesystems" that you created, and the filesystems didn't
    show up in df, then you actually copied those cd's into the
    directory for the mount point. If you mount a filesystem
    on a mount point, any files in the mount point directory still exist,
    and will
    be using space in the filesystem where the mount point exists.

    You will really need to take some time to study the lvm redbook to
    make sure that you understand the inter-relation between
    volume group,logical volume and filesystem.

    Providing too much more information without helpful pictures is just
    going to
    confuse you.

    Good luck on your project.

    Casey

  12. Re: 7043-43P(240) with SSA 7131-405

    Michael, Scott and Casey
    Thanks for advice and replies. Got into the chapter on file systems and
    things began to click into place.
    Because 7043 would not let me put the three SSA disks into rootvg, I created
    new VG's and since discovered all the jobs done by AIX in the installation
    of bos secretely behind the scenes. Never would have discovered all this if
    SSA disks went into rootvg,. Blessing in disguise I suppose.
    Now VG's created, LV's added, FS created and mounted, #df is happy, all show
    up.
    Thanks guys.

    From my experiences last year on AIX 4.2 was able to fix on AIX 5.1
    /dev/hd4 83% used,
    /dev/hd2 98% used and
    /dev/hd9var 77% used.
    Quite supprised I had to do this as I am sure while installing AIX 5.2 and
    AIX 5.3 on my 7044 and 7025, I saw some message flash by, file system being
    automatically expanded.

    Now made a #smit mksysb of 7043 and never realised the significance of the
    message, only rootvg backed up. My other three VG's were ignored. Only ever
    had AIX's with rootvg's till now. Now another new AIX experience to master .
    Found a Redbook on backups, back to swatting for the old pensioner.

    Regards
    Basil

+ Reply to Thread