Moving BFF files to CD - Aix

This is a discussion on Moving BFF files to CD - Aix ; Hi -- I have a ton of downloaded AIX updates in BFF format on a directory on the server. This directory has a .toc file accounting for everything that's in there. I need the disk space and would like to ...

  1. Moving BFF files to CD

    Hi --

    I have a ton of downloaded AIX updates in BFF format on a directory on the
    server. This directory has a .toc file accounting for everything that's in
    there.

    I need the disk space and would like to move this whole collection to CD.
    The directory is bigger than a CD, though.

    How do I create a multi-CD set for all these updates?

    Thanks,
    CL

  2. Re: Moving BFF files to CD

    On Oct 6, 5:05 pm, "Charles Lavin" wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > I have a ton of downloaded AIX updates in BFF format on a directory on the
    > server. This directory has a .toc file accounting for everything that's in
    > there.
    >
    > I need the disk space and would like to move this whole collection to CD.
    > The directory is bigger than a CD, though.
    >
    > How do I create a multi-CD set for all these updates?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CL

    Club all the data in an exclusive volume group and use mkcd. The man
    page gives a good description.
    HTH
    Ashok Sangra

  3. Re: Moving BFF files to CD

    To write a cd on AIX you must have an iso file. First use the command
    mkisofs to create an iso image of what you want on the cd. mkisofs is
    much like tar in that by default it will recurse down a tree.

    For example: mkisofs -R -o /foo/bar.iso bar will recurse down the
    tree bar and create the file /foo/bar.iso. The -R option makes mkisofs
    use some Rock Ridge formating. This is essential when you want to
    write a .toc file otherwise the .toc will be renamed to _.toc.

    Now that the iso image is created use the cdrecord command to
    write the iso image to a cd.

    cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=10 /foo/bar.iso

    The only confusing part of cdrecord can be getting the dev= line
    correct. But this should get you going.

+ Reply to Thread