Re: howto show firmware of VXA-2 tape in aix 5.2 and 5.3? - Aix

This is a discussion on Re: howto show firmware of VXA-2 tape in aix 5.2 and 5.3? - Aix ; On Oct 4, 11:26 am, "Frank Winans" wrote: > I want to show the firmware level of an IBM / Exabyte/Tandberg > VXA-2 tape drive, for both AIX 5.2 and 5.3 > to see if I can buy some fancy ...

  1. Re: howto show firmware of VXA-2 tape in aix 5.2 and 5.3?

    On Oct 4, 11:26 am, "Frank Winans" wrote:
    > I want to show the firmware level of an IBM / Exabyte/Tandberg
    > VXA-2 tape drive, for both AIX 5.2 and 5.3
    > to see if I can buy some fancy new tape media for it;
    >
    > so far I've tried lscfg -vl rmt0
    > and was hoping for a "Device Specific" line
    > showing the firmware, but instead got back devspec lines
    > (Z1 210A)
    > (LI A170029C)
    > (Z0018002028300013A)
    > (Z3L1)
    >
    > << VXA-2 firmware versions once were of format Vnnnh,
    > later became Vnnnnh where h is hex, n is decimal. >>
    >
    > The .PDF "Troubleshooting the IBM VXA-2 Tape Drive"
    > blithely says to use the vxatool program to view/upgrade
    > the firmware release, but on Exabyte's website I don't see
    > vxatool available for download for AIX.
    >
    > Is there some other aix command I could issue,
    > or some other source of vxatool for aix,
    > or does this need a CE visit? I hesitate to yank the drives to
    > view them under windows, if there's some better approach...
    >
    > Frank

    try
    lsmcode -A

  2. Re: howto show firmware of VXA-2 tape in aix 5.2 and 5.3?

    "Henry" wrote
    > "Frank Winans" wrote:
    > > I want to show the firmware level of an IBM / Exabyte/Tandberg
    > > VXA-2 tape drive, for both AIX 5.2 and 5.3
    > > to see if I can buy some fancy new tape media for it;
    > >
    > > Frank

    > try
    > lsmcode -A

    Erm, doesn't that show the whole-system firmware level? I'll have to
    recheck the tape media warnings, but had thought the specific firmware
    of the tape drive was the important figure. Also, the format of the
    lsmcode response is probably something like "ATnnn_nnn" , versus I
    was told to meet or exceed "firmware 2105" which is
    closer to {barely} the format of firmware numbers used on this
    model of tape drive.

    ....but thanks for the response.

+ Reply to Thread